Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Pulley problem?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bandsdean 
#1 ·
I have a sometimes loud clunking sound under the hood of my truck. I noticed when the noise happens the tensioner pulley moves in real quick, like a pulley is getting hung up. I pulled the belt off and all the pulleys seemed to move freely. Also I saw the belt was off a little on the ac compressor, like one rib maybe. So I centered it on the pulley and the noise got quieter and the tensioner pulley wasn't twitching as bad. So could this be the ac compressor making the loud clanking and getting hung up, or could I be something else. The truck has been doing it for probably the past 500 miles. It also runs just like it should.

#7 ·
Get under your truck after taking the belt off, stick your hand up to the ac compressor and see if that clutch is bad, mine just took a dump on me the other day, making a bad jiggling noise, it also screwed up my belt pretty bad, I did the 50 dollar bypass and it eliminated the whole problem, stock tensioner at 234k

#9 ·
I put a with out a/c belt on the truck last night and that seemed to take care if it. Got a new mopar belt for $30 bucks through work and it was the last one we could find in the country. They are discontinued. Gonna have to get aftermarket from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.