Cummins Diesel Forum banner

TPS adjustment difficulties

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dauntless89 
#1 ·
Took my tps off today to adjust it and things did not go as easily as expected.

Before removing the TPS the voltage read .1 at the idle position, after enlarging the holes and adjusting I was only able to get .4 volts :banghead:

The voltage is still way too low, and I am stumped at how to achieve the recommended 1.2-1.4 volts...:confused013:

The bracket to throttle measurement is the required 5 inches... which is the only other measurement that I believe can affect things.

So do I modify the mounting holes on the TPS further? Or is my TPS just junk and that's why it is reading so low?

A picture of a modified TPS would be helpful. Thanks

#2 ·
You don't modify it further, it's bad. Same thing is going on with mine.

However, unless you have a 47RE, it doesn't matter that the voltage is out of range. All it does with the voltage is calculate throttle position as a percentage, which is all the computer needs to operate OD and lockup.

If your voltage gets low enough, it will cause erratic lockup and/or overdrive operation. This is what mine started to do, I just enlarged the holes and adjusted the voltage up as high as I could, and I'll worry about replacing it when it wears out "again."

My investigation process is in another thread, called "Torque converter recommendations" or something.

Hope that helps!

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.