Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Growling NV

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Redthies 
#1 ·
My NV 4500 has always had a bit of noise, but decelerating in 3rd and 5th now brings on a nasty growl. I am assuming I have a bearing on its way out. Looking at Standard Transmissions "Texas Chili Dog", but not sure if I need to do the main shaft. My fifth gear nut was supposedly repaired by a Dodge dealer. Any idea what they might have done? I'm leaning towards buying the whole kit, and trying to return the main shaft if things are updated/ok inside. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I would lean towards excessive end play due to incorrect thrust possibly caused by a worn bearing. How is your fluid level?

#3 ·
My fifth gear nut was supposedly repaired by a Dodge dealer. Any idea what they might have done? I'm leaning towards buying the whole kit, and trying to return the main shaft if things are updated/ok inside. Thoughts?
They only replaced the nut. Buying the whole kit is a good plan.

#4 ·
Fluid level is good, and relatively clean. I will just order the whole enchilada (Chili dog) and see what it needs. Can't see taking it apart and not replacing all the parts, assuming the gears are in good shape.

#5 ·
So rebuilt the beast yesterday, and all the bearings and synchros were in "ok" condition, but reverse gear was missing 1/16"-1/8" off the bearing surface. Weird, I thought. I assume that play would be a factor in the noise i was hearing? So new rev gear, bearings, synchros and fully splined mainshaft went in. Hope to get it back in the truck tomorrow evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.