Cummins Diesel Forum banner

column shift for trans stiff

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
the column shifter for the trans is very stiff to place in gear and it does lighten up slightly but not excellent . the truck doesnt get used much and i did look and at first i thiought its cable but i think its just a lever off the column to an arm then to the side of the trans . the truck is a 97 4 wheel diesel . any thoughts

#3 ·
stiff column shift

when you say you took it apart - exactly what did you take apart - i did not see a cable - i saw only from under the hood where the column atatched to an arm that went down to the trans and shifted the trans body actuator thanks and when you say you have parts - you mean ? thanks again

#4 ·
i took off the linkage thats goes down from the steering column (underhood) to the trans which yo're talking about. (can be sprayed to free up)

also the gear lever on the steering wheel (grease) & tiny cable that tells you what gear you're in.

the parts i took off are for sale/available

#5 ·
I hade he same issue a few coats of WD40 and it shifts nice and easy. I sprayed the link points at the trans and column and any bushing in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.