Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Clutch Slipping??

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  98.5Cumminspower 
#1 ·
Driving to work this morning, accelerating from a stop directly up a hill with a pretty decent grade, I felt something I hadn't previously. I got to 4th gear and put my foot in it pretty decently as I accelerated harder I noticed the tach reading increase while at the same time experience what felt like a reduction of drive/forward momentum. Backing off it felt normal again.

Can I assume this is likely the clutch slipping? The truck is not built up much, a #12 plate, 4 inch exhaust and cold air intake. It has 135K miles on it and I believe it is the original clutch. Would that be a reasonable life expectancy? It is something, whether the clutch or not I want to remedy before hitching up to my 26' toy hauler.

#2 ·
How many miles on the truck? Also when if you stand on it in 4th and into 5th do you smell the clutch? I wouldnt worry about changing it unless you start smelling it or it actually starts to smoke.

#3 ·
Now I hope that was sarcasim...haha

I wouldn't be surprised if its slipping. A 12 plate is usually enough to send it or atleast shorten the life of a stock clutch. If you would ever feel it slip it would be most noticeable how you are describing, at grade and accelerating in 4th or 5th. As stated "sarcastically" above you can drive easy and get a few more miles or just bite the bullet throw in a good clutch and not have to worry about it.

#4 ·
The truck has about 135,000 miles on what I assume is the stock clutch. I've had the truck since 2006, at that point it had about 113,000 on it. It was noticeable on the steep grade that I described. I think I might just go ahead and get one installed, as I definitely don't want to be stranded on the freeway with the family in the truck. Now it is just a matter of determining what clutch will suit my needs. I really don't plan on trying to get a bunch more power out of the truck, just one modest increase perhaps with the next fuel plate.

It shouldn't go out completely on me all at once, correct? I mean I should be able to drive it around a little bit more (no heavy loads) and/or be able to get it to a shop I would assume, right?

#6 ·
When mine started slipping I thought it was the tires because the road was wet. At first I know it was the tires. After awhile it became apparent that the clutch was losing out. Never did smell anything and towed for a year afterwards with no problem. Just took it easy.

#7 ·
If you have the cash go ahead and upgrade your clutch. Better safe then sorry. Also my first comment was more along the lines of a broke college student like myself and i push my clutch as far as i can before upgrading because of cash flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.