Cummins Diesel Forum banner

two questions in 1. high egts and whitess gray smoke

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bluedodge98 
#1 ·
I know I'm going to get some guff over starting this thread when there are 3 others similar on the first page, but my problems differ a little and I didnt want to thread steal. Let me first say, I paid to have my gov spring put in, tuning and timing done at jefferson state diesel (pretty big competators, at least on the west coast) , and it is extreemly hard to get smoke to come out intentionately. That being said, On initial start up, you can get a little smoke to come out by quickly tapping the throttle. Its nice,thick and black as you would expect it to be without being excessive, but only really visible from the cab by looking in the pass side mirror. Looking in the windshield rear view mirror, your lucky to see even a wisp of smoke. At this time, please know, I'm not complaining about not being able to see myself "rolling coal", I'm just trying to be descriptive. During driving, I can't get smoke to come out if I WOT. Not pre boost, not post boost,..nothing. As I understand, thats almost a perfect tune. Thing is, if I do WOT, (I'm a stick, so I've never wot from a stand still. Just passing, and a little goosing just going down the freeway, ect) I see NO smoke at all but my EGT hit danger levels within 1 gear,( forcing me to wait a little after shifting.) I usually stop the temps from climbing over 1250, but sometimes get 1350 and occasionally have hit 1450 or so before I notice.

Also, it seems like this next issue only occures after warm. Once in a while after stopped at a light, I start off in second as usual, and I seem to have a loss in power as I bog a little, (which I always do a little anyways since I put on 35's, but much more to where my engine almost dies) and once it pulls out of its little hesitation, I see a huge cloud of what looks to be whiteish grey smoke behind my truck. This is why I emphasized the no smoke earlier. Its the cloud that stops the car behind you mid intersection you know, but its not coal black by any means. But not all the time. accually, it doesn't happen more than it does. I changed fuel filter, put in new pre strainer, installed brand new tork tek 30# ofv, fuel pressure never drops below about 22 psi. Any ideas???
Sorry about the grammar, I'm super tired and a few beers deep into the night.

See less See more
#2 ·
You sure your exhaust brake is working correctly?

Sounds like it may be sticking shut a little.

#3 · (Edited)
No, I absolutetly do not know. I did buy a he351cw and plan on installing soon (which will delete the turbo mount brake that I have) but I have no idea on how to check if the brake is functioning 100 %. I forgot to add that recently, I've noticed that a little smoke comes out the vent tube now.(or maybe I never noticed it before?) I had it looked at, real quick and for free, at a real big 18 wheeler type warehouse shop, and he said it is a little blow by at idle , but nothing concerning. I've been worried something is very wrong, but every concerning thing I've read about white/grey smoke seems to happen at idle and or cold, not after warm????

#5 ·
Have your injectors ever been cleaned and pop tested?

#7 ·
No they have not. Will a diesel performance shop have the equiptment to do that, or do I need to go to a fuel injection shop?

Sounds like a typical cold engine in the morning.
Try this too> Ram Diesel Problems
Thats whats weird, it seems to be more prominent after its warmed up.

1350 degrees and no smoke? Man, that's one heck of a tuning job.
I spent a little more time looking at my pass side mirror today commuting to work, and hard fueling is definately blowing a little more smoke than I first thought, though it still looks grey. Still, not alot. Its hard to fuel hard and be watching your tailpipe, instead of the road. Temp doesn't seem to increase or decrease smoke though. I'll pay more attention to that detail tomorrow when I go to the post office.

#6 ·
1350 degrees and no smoke? Man, that's one heck of a tuning job.

#8 ·
I know I'm going to get some guff over starting this thread when there are 3 others similar on the first page, but my problems differ a little and I didnt want to thread steal. Let me first say, I paid to have my gov spring put in, tuning and timing done at jefferson state diesel (pretty big competators, at least on the west coast) , and it is extreemly hard to get smoke to come out intentionately. That being said, On initial start up, you can get a little smoke to come out by quickly tapping the throttle. Its nice,thick and black as you would expect it to be without being excessive, but only really visible from the cab by looking in the pass side mirror. Looking in the windshield rear view mirror, your lucky to see even a wisp of smoke. At this time, please know, I'm not complaining about not being able to see myself "rolling coal", I'm just trying to be descriptive. During driving, I can't get smoke to come out if I WOT. Not pre boost, not post boost,..nothing. As I understand, thats almost a perfect tune. Thing is, if I do WOT, (I'm a stick, so I've never wot from a stand still. Just passing, and a little goosing just going down the freeway, ect) I see NO smoke at all but my EGT hit danger levels within 1 gear,( forcing me to wait a little after shifting.) I usually stop the temps from climbing over 1250, but sometimes get 1350 and occasionally have hit 1450 or so before I notice.

Also, it seems like this next issue only occures after warm. Once in a while after stopped at a light, I start off in second as usual, and I seem to have a loss in power as I bog a little, (which I always do a little anyways since I put on 35's, but much more to where my engine almost dies) and once it pulls out of its little hesitation, I see a huge cloud of what looks to be whiteish grey smoke behind my truck. This is why I emphasized the no smoke earlier. Its the cloud that stops the car behind you mid intersection you know, but its not coal black by any means. But not all the time. accually, it doesn't happen more than it does. I changed fuel filter, put in new pre strainer, installed brand new tork tek 30# ofv, fuel pressure never drops below about 22 psi. Any ideas???
Sorry about the grammar, I'm super tired and a few beers deep into the night.
What are your boost numbers? It almost sounds to me that your turbo is not boosting high enough. So no moving AFC arm for fuel, and no cooling effects from turbo air movement. Air leak to boost line? Stuck open turbo waste?
Maybe a clogged or leaking intercooler?

You getting that high of EGT without smoke is suspicious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.