Cummins Diesel Forum banner

white smoke problem

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
Hi new here haven't owned my truck long. The problem I'm having is that in park if I rev the motor above 2k it will start to pop and a whiteish/ bluish smoke will pour from the exhaust. i'm pretty sure its not injectors I cracked them each 1 at a time. Going to replace the fuel filter but what else could it be?

#2 ·
Do a search....

Probably your timing has slipped.

#5 ·
#10 ·
By law they can only set your timing to stock. Need to go to a non dealer or Cummins shop where they don't mind breaking the law.
If you're going to go though the expense of having the timing checked you should have the timing bumped up to 15-16 for more power and better mpg.

#7 ·
White smoke

I had white smoke from my 97 and they told me I needed to have my oil cooler and head gasket changed. Another problem could be your turbo. I would check the impeller on the hot and cold side. The cold side is easy you just pull off the air intake tube and see if the impeller turns freely, if it does the you would crack open the exhaust side and check that one. You can also tell if you see oil in you intercooler tubes then that is another side something is wrong with your turbo. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Ok thanks for the tips. The turbo is almost new and it looks clean on both intake and exhaust sides and spins fine. I have found that it doesn't cut out and smoke as much once the engine is at full operating temp. It still cuts out though at WOT and smokes blueish/ white instead of black. I got the fuel filter changed and cleaned the pre filter cleaned but it hasn't made a difference. I'm thinking it may just be timing is there a way to check the timing without getting into it too far?

#9 ·
A good diesel mechanic may have a really expensive timing light that will tell you if your timing has slipped. This is a very expensive tool not something a back yard mechanic would have. It will require a small labor bill to get hooked up. Somehow it reads the pulses in the injector lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.