Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel sender strainer

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
I have a 97 2500 , I'm cleaning the tank out and when I pulled the fuel sender out I noticed the plastic strainer on the bottom was broken . Instead of replacing it with another cheap plastic strainer again I was wondering if running no strainer if the fuel filter and prefilter at the pump would be enough filtration ?

#2 ·
As long as your tank is clean and stays clean I see no reason to run without the filter.
Many times when I've removed tank modules the filter is ripped and not doing anything anyways.
The prefilter in the heater has about the same mesh screen as the tank filter.

Reactions: AR74
#4 ·
Besides the strainer on the bottom of the fuel sending unit there is another strainer inside the unit . I wanted to clean the unit really good so I took it apart and found the second strainer inside at the bottom and good thing I did because it was dirty . It's really easy to clean when you get it out , it's a flat type screen .

#5 ·
Me personally......i would run a filter in line before the pump. That is just me.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.