Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hard time starting

987 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dndhart 
#1 ·
alright guys heres the deal. it was real cold last week than warmed up again. well since than my truck take about 5-6 seconds and a very slow drawn out crank to get her to turn over. now. i replaced the starter 2 months ago and replaced the battery's this weekend. heres that catch. if i depress the throttle just a tad when i crank, she turns right over instantly. its like i didnt even use the starter lol. so what could cause this. something in the pump not letting the truck get enough fuel on start up? fuel filter was changed 5k miles ago as well. any help would be appreciated. oh and also. she turns over every single day and has never left me stranded. just want it to start right and not sound like its an act of god to get her to turn over

#2 ·
As Country_Hick would say.."are you following the cold start directions on the visor"? Sounds like what you have is normal for cold conditions.

IF it is cranking real slowly, that is a different issue.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I totally disagree on the problem being cold weather. My 96 just started doing the same thing. I've had the truck (440,000 kms.) from new and have never experienced the problem before. I've checked the batteries, my idle is adjusted properly. I'm still searching for my next step.

#5 ·
I've owned mine since new also. I have always needed a little pedal to start it quickly, and it isn't a problem. Perhaps that is why my original starter lasted over 600,000 miles (about a million kms). It has always started on the first or second revolution, even when the temps were well below freezing. So disagree all you want, it is what it is. The owners manual and experience backs me up.

#7 ·
Mine did the same thing, took a few seconds of cranking in any weather conditions or right away if I gave it some pedal. A buddy of mine has a neighbor who works for a diesel shop and I was telling him about my truck and how I thought it was weird my truck didn't start right up since I had heard other trucks do it. He told me to start the truck so I did and he brought up the fact that it idles kinda low, which I already knew but didn't think it was a big deal. He adjusted my idle since it was low to around where it needed to be and walla!!! Truck starts perfect now. Something so small made me so happy. The truck overall runs better now that the idle is right. But thats what happened to me so just a suggestion. If your truck idles where it should be then it might not be that but thought I'd share.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.