Cummins Diesel Forum banner

96 12v white smoke

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  mxh900 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 96 Cummins 12v that now has 268000 on the motor. It has 60hp boch injectors, air horn upgrade, cold air intake, #4 fuelplate, had the dowell pin done. all these mods have less the 10,000 on them. When I start it up cold It blows a little white smoke untill Its fully warm when I drive it. It also usually blows a little when ever I start it elsewhere for just a few minuets. Is this a problem? if so what can it be, and how can I look at it or fix it?

#3 ·
Well thats the thing, its still putting out a little white after its warm, for ex. ill punch the throttle enough to roll a little coal and then when I'm letting off it will put out a little white smoke. Im pretty positive theres somthin going on, I just cant figure it out. I have also read all the beginner forum's for my year truck, so I shouldent be missing much there. any suggestions?

#5 ·
Could be a head gasket. Are you using any water? Oil in radiator / cap? Water or foamy in oil?? Truck running hot?

#6 ·
I checked it out today, there is no oil in the water (or visvurs) and it doesent run hot. Could it be something with my turbo?

#7 ·
Can someone who knows about this stuff help me out? I know alot about gas motors but deffintly a diesel newbie, Like I said, no leaks, water in oil, and it doesn't run hot.

#8 ·
#9 ·
thanks this is perfect.

#12 ·
Its a 12 Valve, they smoke like a chimney when its cold. Hell, they'll smoke and haze if you look at them wrong. Just the nature of the beast.

But, Based on your mileage, It definitely wouldnt hurt to do a valve adjustment, and to check your timing. Safe bet that they're both a little off. While your at it, might as well advance your timing as well, Most guys start at 16* with good results.

Hit up the TECH section and go to the 94-98 link, all you want to know and more is all right there. Good luck.

#14 ·
Perfect, Thank you ill take a look at those things

Reactions: Raoul Duke
#13 ·
You want to use the advanced search.

At the top of the page you will see the black line that has this.
Home Forums Active Topics iTrader Insurance User CP Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Advertise Auto Loans Log Out Auto Escrow

Then click on search. It opens up and gives the advantage of advanced search. Use that every time. The google search box is useless for getting results here.

It ends up with this link.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/search.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.