Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Does this video of 47re shifting look normal?

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Danger High Voltage 
#1 · (Edited)
Does this video of my 47re shifting look normal?

Other than the blurry picture please watch the acceleration video in my truck and let me know if this is normal. I never feel gear shifts, it is almost like it has a CVT transmission until the Convertor locks up. Is it starting in 2nd? It seems like it always shifts from 1st to second at about half a mile per hour when I just let off the brake and it starts rolling forward. It takes a lot of throttle to get the truck to start rolling if I am stopped on a hill. I don't have shift flares or anything that would make me think it is slipping. I've adjusted the kickdown cable in and out and I couldn't tell any difference at any position. Would the Governor Pressure Solenoid and sensor cause this? Should I install a shift kit? or is this completely normal not to be able to tell that it is shifting gears until you hit overdrive. It feels weak and slow until you hit overdrive and then it will take off like a bat out of hell.

#2 ·
Ain't normal. If you pull shift lever to low gear, does it take off differentlly??
The governor pressure solenoid sounds like a high probability.
did you purchase unit in this condition and not know any better?

Reactions: Danger High Voltage
#3 ·
It takes off different if I pull it down into 1st.

I talked to a few guy at work that owned dodge diesels and they said it was normal because diesels shift different than the gas models so I bought it thinking it was ok. The guy that sold it said he got 20mpg with it but I'm starting to average about 9.7mpg. I ordered a set of injectors to see if that helps the mileage.

Should I install a shift kit and a governor solenoid? Or is it best to only change one thing at a time?

#4 ·
Earlier today I installed a DTT voltage regulator to my truck. It is used to convince the PCM that higher than stock line pressures are acceptable. It will be needed soon when the new beefed up transmission is installed. I followed the instructions and had a problem. Apparently my truck is missing a ground cable they thought should be there. When I installed the ground cable of that unit to where they suggested I could barely take off. I needed at least 1/3 throttle (perhaps more??) to move forward. I moved the ground wire to the battery terminal bolt. The truck then acted like it should going forward at idle in 1st gear like it should.

It looks like you may be taking off in 2nd or perhaps even 3rd gear.

Read this for troubleshooting help.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...-47re-transmission-troubleshooting-chart.html

The lockup looks like a stock tc lockup. The tc is only about 65% efficient.

#5 ·
Yeah I was researching this and thinking that maybe someone already installed a shift kit or the line pressure is high. It does seem like it is starting in 2nd or even 3rd.

#6 ·
Where would I connect a pressure gauge? I was thinking I could hookup a gauge and get some readings to confirm high pressure.

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
From the best I could tell from your vid it looks like a 3rd gear start and then around 45 mph or so you get the O/D shift and then O/D + lock-up. Though it could be a few different things, this is typically what happens with a gov press sol/transducer failure and goes to default pressure.

Why not start by checking codes? If you have an excessive line pressure problem or Gov pressure problem that's causing shifting problems then you should have stored fault codes. You can also keep going by looking at the pressures. Line pressure is important but I would look at governor pressure for sure. You should see 0-1.5 psi when stopped regardless of gear position. Gov pressure should increase approx 1 psi per 1 mph (10 mph-10 psi, 30 mph-30 psi). sometimes gov pressure wont start ramping up until 5-10 mph and I wouldn't worry about a couple psi +/-.

#10 ·
I turned the key on off on off on and it flashes a 1-2 and a 5-5.
That means no transmission codes tripped right?

#11 · (Edited)
For some reason this site edits out the site below. Remove the space to see the thread on pressure ports.

http://www.dieselbo mbers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/97528-47re-test-ports-temp-gauge-question.html

#12 ·
Problem Solved

I took it to a transmission shop and they hooked a Snapon scanner to it. He drove it and said that the kickdown cable was way off. I looked at where he adjusted it and it was a long ways from where it was when I bought the truck. It shifts all gears normally now. He only charged $18

#13 ·
That is a great resolution. I am going to have a built transmission installed in my truck. (Hopefully soon) After it is done I will be going back to the rebuilder to make sure the tv and kickdown cables are adjusted correctly. If it costs me a bit to have the rebuilder make them right I figure it is cheap insurance for both of us.

#14 ·
Yeah this trans shop guy said if I had waited too long without fixing this that the tranny would be toast. He said never to adjust the cable to see if it will help unless you have the equipment to prove that it is adjusted correctly. He said it will fry a trans pretty quick if you don't know what you are doing.

Also $18 for the fix was a relief.

#15 ·
I thought you already tried adjusting the cable, did you just not get it tight enough? Did the shop adjust the cable at the the eng side at the throttle linkage bell crank? Anyway glad to hear its resolved and a simple/cheap fix is always good. Try one more thing, go drive your truck and mash the pedal to the floor then drive it normal and see if the shift timing changes. T/V cables dont mysteriously get that far out of adjustment, or at least it shouldn't.

BTW its a T/V (throttle valve) cable not a kickdown, there is a difference but no biggie.

#17 ·
Nope, wasn't slipping in any gears. Just started in 2nd or 3rd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.