Cummins Diesel Forum banner

96 hard start in cold

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike337 
#1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum so bear with me. I have a 1996 12 valve and it is starting to become colder here in Ohio with winter approaching. My truck started all throughout summer fine but now has trouble starting at about 50 degrees and below. I had to push the pedal down and hold it for a few seconds and it would stay running. I have recently taken off my injector lines to paint them and now it is extremely hard to start in the "cold", worse than before. My grid heater gets warm but not red hot. How hot should it get? Could I have not bled the lines correctly? Leakage somewhere? I am new to owning this truck so I am not sure where to start. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

#2 ·
Could check fuel lines going from the tank. They are common places for leaks.

#3 ·
I'd check all the fuel connections really good for signs of leaking. If it's that much harder to start after removing and replacing them, there may be a leak. Probably wouldn't hurt to just take a wrench to all the line nuts and make sure they are tight.

I don't have the intake heaters hooked up and mine, with 240k miles, kicked right off at 29° the other morning. I was worried that it might be a problem but it started just as quick as it has all summer. I do have brand new batteries and a freshly rebuilt starter so it cranks strong and fast which seems to help. It idles a little rough and low but will it smooth out pretty quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.