Front axle locker drivability with only one hub engaged? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Front axle locker drivability with only one hub...

I see that jeep people do that for better turning radius with no issues, but how will be on our trucks? I don't use my truck for DD and it never snows here. So two wheel drive is all I need for driving around. I do like to go to sand or trails and locker would be nice, but in case if I need to turn sharp or if I'm in not too crazy situation, will it be driving ok with 3 wheel drive? <br />
Selectable lockers are not in my budget, so only choice is lock-rite or equal, but if it totally suck driving on trails with front fully locked or with just one hub, then trac-lok posi or equal would be my only options.
OK12V is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Front axle locker drivability with only one hub engaged?

I spent a long time wondering the same question. I decided that it was not worth it. I ended up getting a Dana Power-lok. I arranged the clutches to be very aggressive, they grab like crazy. I really like the set up, the truck goes most anywhere I care to point it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Front axle locker drivability with only one hub engaged?

i am thinking about doing it this way.detriot locker manual hubs and 4x4posi-lock cable for my cad.i allready have the hubs and the cable dissconect im thinking with the cable dissconect i can get around corners under power.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Update: I finally got it all wrapped up little while ago. Detroit locker in front with Ford dana 60 knuckles, free spin hubs and brakes. Left vacuum CAD original for now. Finally went out to do some wheeling on the trails.
I love it! Detroit in front actually letting me steer pretty good. On the trail I had no problems going around the corners that wasn't too sharp, if it was too sharp, then I would back up and go back and forth a few times to get me where I want to go. But on the trail and mud pits this thing was unstoppable!
I tried driving with one hub unlocked, not bad at all. It does want to steer one way or the other, depending on if I was accelerating or engine braking, but easily controllable.
Granted all my drivability testing was on gravel road up to 30 MPH and I probably wouldn't want to drive with one hub engaged much faster than that.
I definitely wouldn't put Detroit in my DD, but this is my toy and I tow my toyhauler with it and we like to camp on the sand, so it will be perfect for that! Dragging 10000lb trailer through the sand gets pretty challenging some times.
I'm really pleased. I only spent $200 for used locker. Selectable locker would be much better, but for me its worth jumping in and out of the truck to lock/unlock hubs to save a $900. It will keep me in shape lol.
1997 4x4 extended 125K, ATS Auto, ATS 5 star TC, 4GSK, 16* timing, 5x0.12s, #100, gauges, 6" lift, 37s, 4:10, Detroit locked front, Ford knuckles brakes and free spin hubs, rear LSD with Chevy wheel cylinders
Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have the ford hubs on mine and a posilock I was thinking about a locker and using the posilock to unlock one wheel in the snow. my truck is a dd and I use 4x4 every day in my work. what do you think?
94 5sp 4x4 4x13x155 16deg timming 2x4 to 4x4 converson.ford dana 60 lockout hubconv. 91.5 gas to 6bt conv. 2x4 to 4x4 conv.5x12x155 16deg timming fass 95 nv4500 conv p pump conv. 05 fass95 d60 lockout hub conv ats conv BD trans controller
1070 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I wouldn't risk it driving on public streets with one hub on. It is safer having them both engaged. It does steer ok at slower speeds, but the faster you go through the curves, the more you feel the drag. Also its really hard on steering components.
If you only use 4x4 on construction sites/farm- go for it
Street driving grocery getter - I would get selectable locker.
Also I was reading about CAD cable, and people having a hard time engaging/disengaging locked axles. I will try to fab up vacuum solenoid with the switch instead.
1997 4x4 extended 125K, ATS Auto, ATS 5 star TC, 4GSK, 16* timing, 5x0.12s, #100, gauges, 6" lift, 37s, 4:10, Detroit locked front, Ford knuckles brakes and free spin hubs, rear LSD with Chevy wheel cylinders
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

before I got the posilock cable I used a brass fuel tank selector from a old farm truck to control vac to the cad. the only trouble I had was in winter moisture would cause the cad to freeze using vac, that's the reason I went to the cable.
94 5sp 4x4 4x13x155 16deg timming 2x4 to 4x4 converson.ford dana 60 lockout hubconv. 91.5 gas to 6bt conv. 2x4 to 4x4 conv.5x12x155 16deg timming fass 95 nv4500 conv p pump conv. 05 fass95 d60 lockout hub conv ats conv BD trans controller
The Following User Says Thank You to 1070 For This Useful Post:
OK12V (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Good suggestion! We hardly see below freezing here, so that should work good. Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

one day we might be 30 the next day -5 that causes trouble in anything vac controlled.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I know it aint cheap (trust me) but an air locker in the front is the way to go. Flip a switch and it's locked. Ditch the cad all together and toss in a set of manual hubs and you have one reliable and versatile setup.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.