Stock boost and wastegate questions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Stock boost and wastegate questions

I pulled a heavy trailer the last 2 days. After installing gauges I was curious to see what it did under load. The egts stay at 600-700 at interstate speeds on flat ground, never over 1050 even under a hard uphill pull. Seems good to me. What I don't know about is the boost. It works like an on-off switch. Steady speed it holds between 6-10 psi. Hit the throttle to climb or pass and it hits 21-22 instantly, no lag at all, no perceptible spool time. I had the turbo off the engine and checked it over, it is in top shape. The line to the wastegate had deteriorated and needed replacing and I checked the actuator while I was at it. Does this sound normal or is the wastegate rod maladjusted? Does anybody know how long it should be? I am used to a 7.3 and the 5.9 acts completely different. Also, is the stock turbo an HX 35 or 40? 97 3500 5-spd.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
If your truck is stock you have a HX35. I found this website very informative: 96-98 engine specs
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sounds absolutely normal. If you want more power a boost elbow slide your plate and either slide the AFC forward then adjust back the smoke or see if just adjusting it is enough. I think if you are happy now you will be more so after those adjustments and you should be in the safe range on the clutch unless it already has issues. My 3500 was only stock for a few days other then already having a high torque clutch care of the PO and within a couple of weeks it was as it is now in my signature and I still want more.
1995 3500 4x2 manual Dually, Adjustable wastegate, BHAF, Pyro, Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges, MBRP 4" kit with 5" stacks, 4K Gov kit #6 plate and AFC, 60LB Valve springs, DAP 5x.012 SACs, Head Bolts.

Last edited by LostSoul; 10-16-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
LostSoul is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LostSoul For This Useful Post:
WhistlinDixie (10-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.