What are some problems with a 98 12 valve - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What are some problems with a 98 12 valve

I have a 98.5 24 valve 2wd automatic. I need a four wheel drive and wanted to stay with a diesel. I found a 98 12 valve for sale like I want and was wondering what problems if any they might have. The truck has 160,000 on it and it is an automatic. Are the transmissions in the 98 12 valve same as the 98.5 ? I already had to have mine rebuilt.
slowpokedodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

KDP First thing!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Man said it has been done.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Man said it has been done. KDP that is, sorry stupid post.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,202 Posts
The transmissions were 47RE from 1996 to 2003 (give or take a year). That means a 1998 and a 199 should be the same. The only potential issue would be the solenoids having a different connector for a different wiring harness. I am not saying that is true. I am simply saying it is possible. If it is truely an issue you just put the solenoids for your year truck in the other transmission and it is now the same thing.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I would like to get a 5 speed manual tranny but they are scarce around here, If I get the truck with the auto it will prob have to be rebuilt. Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have 373,000 on my factory stock 96, original p7100 and injectors, tranny still works ~ sorta. Converter won.t lock, but I managed to pull my overloaded 5th wheel with all my tools - lots and lots of tools - from South Florida to MI. My only current issue is that my boost boot from turbo to intercooler has been cut and torn where it meets intercooler, tight spot and I think I may have pre-loaded it with a twist 30,000 miles ago when I did KDP, raidiator flush etc.

The fuel heater and water in fuel sensors can leak, but Geno's Garage have the service parts. Oh, that damn dashboard can crack from too much sun, a plastic sunburn.

door hinges get worn after 300,000 miles. but hell, you see many cars with that many miles?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thats a lot of miles on the tranny. I had to have mine rebuilt at about 140000 miles I think. My dad might have towed in overdrive. He pulled a 22 foot airstream camper with it.
Thats why I want a 12 valve, I think they will out last a 24 valve and they are easier to work on. I am nearly 50 so the truck will probably outlast me if taken care of. My dash is cracked too.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Since you already have the 98.5, then you're looking at the same truck, except the 12V and the lack of all the electronics that control it. The 98 12V is only 180 HP, same 47RE tranny. Only real issue is the KDP, but that hit the early 24V's too. Of course there are some specific 12V maintenance items to address, but all are minor. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF1063 View Post
Since you already have the 98.5, then you're looking at the same truck, except the 12V and the lack of all the electronics that control it. The 98 12V is only 180 HP, same 47RE tranny. Only real issue is the KDP, but that hit the early 24V's too. Of course there are some specific 12V maintenance items to address, but all are minor. Good luck.
"Of course there are some specific 12V maintenance items to address, but all are minor."

OK, I need to know, other than the KDP, what other specific 12v issues. I replaced my crank dampner as the rubber was deteriorated, the bumper rolled back and pinched the tranny cooler lines, so I replaced my tranny cooler, I replaced my oil pump, water pump, hoses and recently my u-jionts, Today I replaced my boosts hoses to intercooler. Are there other issues? I have a DNR potentionmeter to replace my bad TPS, I desperately need a new converter and tranny overhaul, and the constant balljoints.

My understanding is 12v is pretty much bullet proof, after all the maintenance i've done I was hoping I pretty much covered everything. I too am racing to 50 and plan for this to be my last truck, I figure it will have about 750,000 when I hit my late 60's. hope to overhaul engine in two or three years , when i hit 50.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin345 View Post
"Of course there are some specific 12V maintenance items to address, but all are minor."

OK, I need to know, other than the KDP, what other specific 12v issues. I replaced my crank dampner as the rubber was deteriorated, the bumper rolled back and pinched the tranny cooler lines, so I replaced my tranny cooler, I replaced my oil pump, water pump, hoses and recently my u-jionts, Today I replaced my boosts hoses to intercooler. Are there other issues? I have a DNR potentionmeter to replace my bad TPS, I desperately need a new converter and tranny overhaul, and the constant balljoints.

My understanding is 12v is pretty much bullet proof, after all the maintenance i've done I was hoping I pretty much covered everything. I too am racing to 50 and plan for this to be my last truck, I figure it will have about 750,000 when I hit my late 60's. hope to overhaul engine in two or three years , when i hit 50.
There's a small rubber fuel hose specific to the 12V that should be replaced, by chance I just changed mine today, just an 8 inch piece of 5/16th fuel hose ( Iguess that's the type of issue you need to know) I did the KDP way back, when we at the TDR shipped a 'Jig' around the country (98'-99') Other than that, I've changed the starter contacts, Alternator brushes, normal hoses, fan belt, adjusted the idle a few times, tranny every 25K miles, all general maint stuff. Everything I've done is typical, I buy too much crap from Genos etc. I've adjusted the valves numerous times. My 12V has been perfect, 100% of the time, has 180K now. My experience has been never wait for it to fail, mosty all my 12V has been preventative based on other owners sharing of info.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Another common issue is with fuel lines rusting through, usually under the bed where they go in to the tank. Of course 24v trucks could also have this problem...

Throttle linkage bushings wear out and cause slop that throws the tps off and will make the trans do funny things, the tps wears out some where near 150k.

Really at 160k if the KDP has been done and the oil and fuel filters were changed it should be rock solid for a long time!
98 12 valve quad cab, MBRP 4 inch exhaust, triple pillar gauges, fuel plate removed, Stock 181 DV's, 5x14's, 4x4, 3.55 gears, 285/75/16s, KDP tabbed, AFC modded and tuned, 4GSK, + 60 vs, pusher intake, Carli 2.0 suspension kit, rebuilt trans by L.C.D. With Goerend valve body, billet input and triple disk converter. HX35/14cm over 472/1.10 .
86burbguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.