Afc tuning - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Afc tuning

So I just wanted to be sure my thinking is correct here in reguards to tuning the afc. The smoke screw handles pre boost fueling, the star wheel sets max fuelling correct?

So if my truck smokes at idel or before boost is obtained I need dial the screw back to get less fueling pre boost. Now if it smokes under acceleration I need to turn the star wheel so that it pushes my max fueling to a higher psi correct? Or am I way off base here?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The smoke screw is your zero boost fuel. You want to back this out about all the way then drive the truck. After each "test drive" turn the screw in about 1/8 of a turn. Keep doing this and after a while you will hit a sweet spot that will spool your turbo very quickly. Its easier said than done and takes some time so try to be patient. Next is the starwheel. Its your "midrange" fueling. Its all really personal preference. Similar to the smoke screw their is a "optimal spot" The fuel plate is what takes over at wot. Hopes this helps.
97 3500 5spd, 4wd, 190,000, #100 plate ff, afc mods, 4gsk, cai, 5 inch pipe, autometer boost, pyro, and fuel pressure gauges
Cummins 24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

So how do I know the star wheel is in the optimal spot? What should i look for?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Really its all opinion, after you get the smoke screw dialed in, turn the starwheel towards passenger side of the truck. Turn it a bit and drive it (from stock position) and drive it. Like the smoke screw their is a "optimal" spot, its really trial and error. It will smoke more and should pull a little harder, keep turning it until your happy with it. If you go to far it will be laggy and spool slower because you are giving it to much fuel and basically "putting out the fire"
97 3500 5spd, 4wd, 190,000, #100 plate ff, afc mods, 4gsk, cai, 5 inch pipe, autometer boost, pyro, and fuel pressure gauges
Cummins 24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Spend some time reading this

afc tuning explained

liteweight
96 4X4 2500,KDP,16.5*,40hp injectors,boost elbow,3K,ground plate to 0,AFC mods,5" exh.BD pressure loc kit,lock up switch,low stall,Rebuilt trans.all billet Boost,Pyro & Trans. gauges,rear air bags,3.54's, 315/70/16's
liteweight is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.