Nv4500 swap wiring. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Nv4500 swap wiring.

Okay. I'm a little confused on the wiring from an auto to manual swap. I know about the grounding of the wire, back up lights, but no idea of how to get the cruise to work. All I've read for it is for 24v which I would think is two different breeds with this situation.
Would the cruise work with grounding the wire? Or when the clutch pedal is wired? Heard also that you can snip a wire somewhere under the hood to get the cruise to work as well. Any other forums from what I've saw only had one post on each one. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Ttt

Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The grounding of the wire will cause cruise not to work. You need to connect it to the clutch pedal. I ran into this issue when I swapped a manual into my 99 2500 V8. When the wire is grounded, its telling the computer that the clutch is pushed in/engaged and to cancel the cruise control (and allow the truck to start). When you release the pedal, it removes the ground and allows cruise to be engaged.

Here is a picture of the plug on the auto trucks that needs to be plugged into the switch on the clutch assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Nv4500 swap wiring.-picture-188.jpg  
Ramguy43 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramguy43 For This Useful Post:
SamMargritz00 (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

OK thanks! I'll have to look under the dash for that plug. In your picture is the one to look for the top or bottom plug to look for.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

In the picture the green plug hanging up top is from the clutch pedal assembly. That needs to be plugged into the green plug that is on the bottom but in the Automatic trucks it already has a plug with a looped wire in it (you can see it taped up from the factory in the picture). All you do is unplug the looped plug, and plug it into the clutch pedal plug.

Hopefully this pic is more clear LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Nv4500 swap wiring.-clutch-plugs.jpg  
Ramguy43 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramguy43 For This Useful Post:
SamMargritz00 (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

OK haha yes that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much, so with that plugged in the cruise will work, even with the auto ecm?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

No it wont work that way
dieseldemon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldemon View Post
No it wont work that way
Then what will?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

The safety start on the auto trans is the middle wire in the rubber conn the two outside wires are the backup lights take the middle wire and extend it to reach the clutch plug under the dash cut the plug off attach the wire you extended to one side of the wire from the clutch plug (the one that you just cut off) take the other side to the metal frame under the dash to ground. Leave the plug that has the jumper the way it is if you take the jumper out it will not work
The Following User Says Thank You to dieseldemon For This Useful Post:
SamMargritz00 (07-06-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Ohhh okay, that kinda makes sense, so how does this make the cruise work..like how does it work this way
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

If that wire stays grounded the pcm thinks the clutch is pushed and no cruise
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Okay so correct me if I'm wrong. So the clutch is acting say like a light switch. It competes the circuit which in this its completing the ground which enables it to start, when the clutch pedal is not pressed its not completing the ground which enables the cruise to work.

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.