Bad injector pump symptoms? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bad injector pump symptoms?

Cool story, bro.

But please bear with me.

The other day it was hot, 100+.

After 20 minutes of normal driving, I parked it and went inside. About 35 minutes I left again. The truck took about 5 seconds of cranking to start, normally I bump the keyswitch and it fires right up.

I get going down the road and the truck dies. 20 seconds of cranking, it fires up. The rpms go up and down about 200 rpm then smoothes out. I pull back out into traffic, push the clutch down to shift, the truck dies again. Repeat, starting 20 seconds of cranking truck fires up. Open the hood while it is idling, I hear a loud clacking from the front of the injector pump. Fuel pressure regulator?

I decide to take it home. I get going down the road, go to shift, and the rpms shoot to 4k. I shut engine off immediately. Restart it again, truck acts the same as before - hard to start and rpm fluctuates, then smooths out.

I am baffled as to what is going on. It acts like it's running out or starving for fuel, then the engine races to 4k. I replaced the lift pump, fuel pressure regulator and all rubber lines with marine hose last year.

I haven't been able to duplicate this problem again, as its only been about 80 ish outside. I want to get a fuel pressure gauge on it when it's acting up, but it hasn't since.

I saw on this site about warped injector cups on 94/95 trucks. Could the extreme heat cause this problem?

What are the symptoms of having warped cups?

Anybody have this problem?

Thanks!
1995 2500 4X4 5 speed 195000 miles DDP stg 2, #5 fuel plate, 15.5*, 4 GSK, 60#, TST AFC spring kit, KDP killed, BHAF, Valair clutch, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, ISSPRO guages boost and exh temp.
RichN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,330 Posts
Take a big bucket of cold water with you. If it acts up pour the cold (not warm) water on the injection pump. If it straightens out the injection pump is bad.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
country_hick is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Ya try that otherwise it's prolly a bad lift pump or leak

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
1994 12v 5.9 2500 ram 180hp - 5-speed NV4500, #0 plate, AFC/startwheel forward, 16.5, 5x0.12 DAP, 181DV, 60#, 4000gsk, GlowShift - Pyro/FP/Boost and turbo coming later
rickmeima is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sasquatch

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Try checking the fuel pressure first and make sure you're maintaining at least 20 psi at all times. It's best to replace the cheap simple things before jumping on a 1k or more injection pump. It could be a leak or clog somewhere, bad overflow valve, dirty pre filter, dirty fuel filter, or the fuel pump. As for the 4k rpm issue you should take a look at the throttle linkage and the return spring.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the replies. It is going to be 96 this weekend, I'll run her hard and see what happens. I'll hook up a fuel pressure gauge and keep some cold water in the cab for when it messes up.
1995 2500 4X4 5 speed 195000 miles DDP stg 2, #5 fuel plate, 15.5*, 4 GSK, 60#, TST AFC spring kit, KDP killed, BHAF, Valair clutch, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, ISSPRO guages boost and exh temp.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Water in fuel filter maybe

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Today it was 100 degrees. Drove truck home (about 6 miles) with fuel pressure gauge hooked up. At idle I have 20psi, at 2000k I have 26psi, at wot in second gear it goes down to 10.

So, after a new lift pump, overflow valve, all new marine rubber fuel lines, fuel heater delete mod, my pressure is still crap.

I let the truck sit for about 20 minutes and tried to start it. It took about five seconds of cranking then fired up. Idle pressure was the same. I revved it to 2k, pressure was about 22psi fluctuating to 25psi so fast my gauge and hose to my gauge was "clicking". Then the truck revved to 3600rpm and shut off.

I got a gallon jug of cool tap water and dumped it on the injector pump. I fired it up, and it ran perfect! No excessive cranking, no out of control over revving, no shutting off. It's like this damn this has vapor lock!

I know my fuel pressure is still low (guess it's time for a draw straw uprgrade), am I correct in thinking my injector pump is toast?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Correct

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
1994 12v 5.9 2500 ram 180hp - 5-speed NV4500, #0 plate, AFC/startwheel forward, 16.5, 5x0.12 DAP, 181DV, 60#, 4000gsk, GlowShift - Pyro/FP/Boost and turbo coming later
rickmeima is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

If you still have low fuel pressure after all the new parts it is probably the Over flow valve, take it off and stretch the spring 1/8th of an inch and recheck the pressure.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,577 Posts
Quote:
22psi fluctuating to 25psi so fast my gauge and hose to my gauge was "clicking"
If you didn't have a gauge snubber or needle valve barely cracked open to control pulsations your pressure readings are worthless and the gauge may have been destroyed as far as ever reading right again.

How to check fuel pressure on a 12 valve
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
If you didn't have a gauge snubber or needle valve barely cracked open to control pulsations your pressure readings are worthless and the gauge may have been destroyed as far as ever reading right again.

How to check fuel pressure on a 12 valve
Nope, followed those directions to a tee. I have a needle valve that is barely cracked open and a fairly expensive liquid filled 60lb gauge I use at work to check pilot pressures on various hydraulically operated machines.

The "clicking" only happens once the truck is warm and had been driven awhile.

Since it has been in the 80's, I have no problems.

Last edited by RichN; 07-06-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Did you ever figure this one out? My truck is doing almost the same thing. The ticking noise at the p pump, hard starting if it dies but sits for a while runs fine, sometimes takes off to redline, cannot create the issue, it is random. I did a lot of the same stuff, checked the pickup in the tank and the lines, replaced a couple of the soft lines, deleted fuel heater, cleaned prescreen and put on a new fuel filter. I just got some gauges installed and the correctly installed fuel pressure gauge was reading the same during the issue and when the truck is running fine, I had ordered an overflow valve withe gauges, pulled over and swapped it out, gained a pound of fuel pressure but still having the same issue. Unfortunately this leads me to believe it is a pump issue. here is the link to my previous post Driveability/Fuel Issue
94 2500 5spd 4X4 SCLB 3.54s Isspro Pyro Boost Fuel K&N straight turbo back no cat #10 plate 3k GSK 16* timing boost elbow KDP 285/75/16s
96 Jeep XJ 5spd 4.88s Ford 8.8 rear lockers
mackiexj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.