more responsive after disconnecting TPS??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
more responsive after disconnecting TPS???

I have had this scenario occur a few times now, and I'm scratching my head as to why/how it's happening....

So I disconnect the TPS (throttle position sensor) and remove the 2 bolts holding it on, put it back on and reconnect the plug, fire the truck up and the throttle response is much better. Feels like I'm driving a different truck, has a lot more pep and doesn't feel so sluggish.

After I shut the truck off and start it again it's back to its sluggish self. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Fill out your signature so we know what truck your workin on. I'm not sure what your actually unplugging?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2rags View Post
I have had this scenario occur a few times now, and I'm scratching my head as to why/how it's happening....

So I disconnect the TPS (throttle position sensor) and remove the 2 bolts holding it on, put it back on and reconnect the plug, fire the truck up and the throttle response is much better. Feels like I'm driving a different truck, has a lot more pep and doesn't feel so sluggish.

After I shut the truck off and start it again it's back to its sluggish self. Any ideas?
I would trash the TPS (unplug and forget about it) and hook up a POTS...
You are probably experiencing a phantom type surge when the TPS is disconnected / reconnected. After shut down the TPS resumes normal malfunction.
1998 2500 4X4 CTD QCLB 3 inch lift-- Stablizer Bar-Tork Tek OFV-MAXX links-KDP TABBED-Luke's Link & Bushing POTS LMC dash #10 fuel plate AFC ISSPRO fuel- boost-2K* PYRO BHAF Posi-Loc Larry B Solenoid & relay rebuilt 47re low stall TC
zthatzmanz28 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,201 Posts
Most car computers lose everything in memory when the battery is disconnected for a few minutes. It takes them awhile to relearn how to give the best mpg for a given drivers driving pattern. Maybe this is what is happening with the tps input?
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

TP sensor is only used on auto trans trucks and/or trucks equipped with EGR. For auto trans trucks it only provides input for the torque convertor clutch and 4th gear shifting. EGR trucks its used to help regulate EGR flow along with ECT and IAT. I dont see how it could affect throttle response at all, unless maybe you have an EGR truck.
98 12v, 48RE, Revmax kit, V/B, triple disc stage 5, ultra low stall with a few other billet pieces. AFC modded, 100ish plate, 16.5ish*, KDP gone, 60lb springs, 4K-GSK, BHAF, pyro, trans, boost guage. , 72 AM general M35A2 LDT465
jnicewan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,573 Posts
Considering what the TPS controls on a 12 valve the only thing that makes sense is you are temporarily "fixing" a bad connection by unplugging the sensor or just moving the wires around.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

yea, I thought it might be plug/wiring related, but the wiring seems to be in great shape along with the plug, i've also tried messing with the plug after the truck goes back to being sluggish and it hasn't made a difference. only seems to get peppy if I actually remove the TPS altogether. I don't get it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2rags View Post
yea, I thought it might be plug/wiring related, but the wiring seems to be in great shape along with the plug, i've also tried messing with the plug after the truck goes back to being sluggish and it hasn't made a difference. only seems to get peppy if I actually remove the TPS altogether. I don't get it.
Then you have an issue related to the transmission as that is the only thing the TPS controls. No other electronic controls on the engine.
1995 D2500 4x4: #10 fuel plate, BHAF, turbo orfice, AFC forward, 3000 GSK, pyro & boost ga. NEXT: trans ga & filt, 4" exhaust, billet TQ, valve body.
UCORA.org -- United Christian Off-Road Alliance.
glfredrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.