Cummins Diesel Forum banner

still sounds like a misfire

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
I have a 96 5speed truck with 247,000 miles on it. When the truck ideals it sounds fine but when driving it between 1500 to 2000 rpms it sounds like it has a miss to it. I have installed new injectors and it still has a miss i was just trying to see where to start and what to look for maybe bad lift pump I don't know any help would be great.

#6 ·
long cranking points 2 a small airleak somewere/bad overflow valve/low idle. have you cleaned the pre filter screen/removed fuel heater?? i'm still saying it's the timing tho. small belch of white smoke when it misfires?? Check fuel pressure

#7 ·
Took my truck to a shop to have my pump checked out and they told me the barrels and plungers are wore out and the pump needs rebuilt. For them to rebuild it was going to cost 2300 plus the 400 for shop time. I'm just wondering if this sounds right or should I be looking at other pumps if so from who?

#9 ·
You must have got here by using the search function. Use it some more and you will find setting the idle is pretty easy and only requires a 10mm wrench. Once the idle is where it needs to be you might not have to give it a touch of throttle for a quick start. If "doing the same thing" means a miss at a certain rpm range, then read about the injector pump problems in early 2nd gens.

#11 ·
2300 for them to rebuild.. Are you serious. These pumps new dont even cost that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.