Torque converter lock up? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Torque converter lock up?

Just reading about torque converters and lock up programers. I have a bit of an idea how a converter works but dont understand how lock up works or how a lock up programer works or how you would set one to how you like it. If someone could explain it to me in the simplest way possable it would realy help me, im not sure if i want to get a lock up programer yet or not seeing as i have no idea how it is used. Any help would be great! Thanks to anyone that trys to help
RollinThunder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It is not a programer but rather a simple switch. Do a search as there are several informative write ups on how to install one.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.
Motorboat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Your TC recieves RPM from the flexplate of the engine. It uses and oil splash design to multiply the torque and that turns the center splines to turn the input shaft of the trany which is at a lower rpm. When it is in "lock up" it is just that Locked together so the TC is just a 1:1 coupler between the engine & trany.
When the TC is multiplying torque it is also building heat. I found for towing over the mountain passes in western washington, if the truck won't pull in OD locked up I hit the OD off button but then flip the switch (I installed) to re-lock the TC in 3rd gear. It gives me a few more miles per hour and keeps the trans temps cooler.
These engines don't have much compression braking. that being said, the TC lock up swithc also keeps the engine from "free wheeling" (like it goes into neutral) when coasting down a hill. If you have any plans to install an exhaust brake the TC has to be locked up for the exhaust brake to work.
Did that answer your questions?
1997 ext cab 2500, 2WD, SLT, 5 gauges, #10 fuel plate, afc tuned, 5in exhaust. DDP 75HP injectors. timing 15*, 4k GSK, HE351VGT, 13spd road ranger trany, dyno at DDP 330hp 778ft lbs torque @ 2100 rpms, Home made twin ram style intake,
drooling piston is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drooling piston For This Useful Post:
northcounty (02-22-2012), Relic (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Good explanation and a nice write up.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.
Motorboat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Back when I first bought my 98, I did a TC lockup. It was nice locking the TC at 25 MPH, but a pain when I stopped and forgot to flip the toggle. AFter a year of this and trying to haul my 13K pound 5er, I hooked up a POTS and bypassed the TPS that was the real problem. When I am towing and have the OD off, I can dial the POTS and get the TC to lock at 30 MPH. Now when I stop, the TC unlocks with the brake and no more shaking stops. I still slide into OD at 50 MPH on level ground.
1998 2500 4X4 CTD QCLB 3 inch lift-- Stablizer Bar-Tork Tek OFV-MAXX links-KDP TABBED-Luke's Link & Bushing POTS LMC dash #10 fuel plate AFC ISSPRO fuel- boost-2K* PYRO BHAF Posi-Loc Larry B Solenoid & relay rebuilt 47re low stall TC
zthatzmanz28 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,486 Times in 1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I hooked up a POTS and bypassed the TPS that was the real problem. When I am towing and have the OD off, I can dial the POTS and get the TC to lock at 30 MPH. Now when I stop, the TC unlocks with the brake and no more shaking stops. I still slide into OD at 50 MPH on level ground.
Does the tc still unlock like a stock truck when the fuel pedal is released? I want my tc to not unlock just because I let off the foot feed at 60 mph or faster going downhill gaining speed.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

They do make a lock up programmer so to speak the ats commander I belive its called
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_hick View Post
Does the tc still unlock like a stock truck when the fuel pedal is released? I want my tc to not unlock just because I let off the foot feed at 60 mph or faster going downhill gaining speed.
Once the TC is locked, it stays locked until--

1. I step on the brake
2. I drop below the MPH threshold (under 30 with OD off, under 50 with OD on)
1998 2500 4X4 CTD QCLB 3 inch lift-- Stablizer Bar-Tork Tek OFV-MAXX links-KDP TABBED-Luke's Link & Bushing POTS LMC dash #10 fuel plate AFC ISSPRO fuel- boost-2K* PYRO BHAF Posi-Loc Larry B Solenoid & relay rebuilt 47re low stall TC
zthatzmanz28 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Adding to this, I'm also unfamiliar with the lock-up. Is there a certain point that it automatically locks in a stock truck, also is there a way to tell when its locked?
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am in fact a newbie haha
midwestcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcummins View Post
Adding to this, I'm also unfamiliar with the lock-up. Is there a certain point that it automatically locks in a stock truck, also is there a way to tell when its locked?
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am in fact a newbie haha
Stock the computer is programmed to lock at 47 mph as long as you aren't heavy on the throttle, the tranny is warmed up and nothing is broken or out of adjustment.

You can tell when it locks because your rpm will drop 100-200 instantly.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Revmax Converters

BE VERY careful adding a lockup switch. We have literally seen hundreds of converters destroy input shafts by improper use of the switch. If you do the switch get a billet input shaft for peace of mind!
Facebook: Revmax Torque Converters

www.revmaxconverters.com

revmax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.