Fuel line replacement? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel line replacement?

I noticed the other day with the truck running and the hood open that the rubber fuel line that goes down between the injector pump and the block had a split in it that was pulsating with the engine. I'm taking the box off in the next week or two and was thinking of replacing all of the fuel lines at the same time. I was just hoping someone might be able to tell me if I actually needed parts for any of them or are they just rubber fuel lines? Anything else to look at while I'm at it? Many thanks, Sam
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

yes replace all of the lines including the steel lines that are attached to the inside of the frame with marine grade flexible fuel line
i use AN fittings size -6 I used an inline filter at the frame lower than the tank with a water seperator snake that line up to yur filter and then replace your return line the same way making sure you keep them well attached so they dont rub leave slack in the pressure and return lines to compensat for engine movement and for twist on supply side .

a very good thing to do.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'd also suggest replacing your brake line that runs to the rear while your at it. Had one blow on my grandfathers truck and it was a pain to lower the tank and everything else to fix it.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Itís common practice to replace the factory hard lines with hose. Unfortunately itís not the right way to go about it. There is no reason to replace the hard lines with hose; there is no reason to replace the hard-lines at all unless they are corroded or damaged. If they are I would replace them with another hard line, they can be made easily and the hard line tubing is way less $ than hose however you will need the tools to do it. Running hose all the way to and from the tank is an easy way for a quick fix but a sloppy way to go and expensive, thatís a lot of hose! If your hard lines are good just replace the hose connections, use good hose and good clamps don't over tighten them like most guys do. (If using hose clamps for this use the correct size, get good clamps and use two per connection if you wish) Replace all the hose ends and be clean and neat and you will be good for another fifteen years or so. Good luck man!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie6464 View Post
there is no reason to replace the hard-lines at all unless they are corroded or damaged.
On my '97, my lines were corroded between the fuel tank and frame, but I only replaced that short corroded section with hose and kept the rest of the steel line. But, I found when I had to replace the rear brake line on my '99, someone had already replaced the steel fuel lines with new ones. (Why they didn't replace the brake line at the same time is beyond me. Just stupid. Just glad I got the truck and trailer stopped, when it went.
bmoeller is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie6464 View Post
It’s common practice to replace the factory hard lines with hose. Unfortunately it’s not the right way to go about it. There is no reason to replace the hard lines with hose; there is no reason to replace the hard-lines at all unless they are corroded or damaged. If they are I would replace them with another hard line, they can be made easily and the hard line tubing is way less $ than hose however you will need the tools to do it. Running hose all the way to and from the tank is an easy way for a quick fix but a sloppy way to go and expensive, that’s a lot of hose! If your hard lines are good just replace the hose connections, use good hose and good clamps don't over tighten them like most guys do. (If using hose clamps for this use the correct size, get good clamps and use two per connection if you wish) Replace all the hose ends and be clean and neat and you will be good for another fifteen years or so. Good luck man!
I disagree that hose is a "sloppy" or "not the right way" to replace fuel lines. Both are valid and long term. Yours is a great suggestion except discrediting replacing the entire length with appropriate diesel rated fuel line. Too many threads in this forum regarding hose (including the old timers) to discredit it.
My 2 cents...
Loud Pedal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Pedal View Post
I disagree that hose is a "sloppy" or "not the right way" to replace fuel lines. Both are valid and long term. Yours is a great suggestion except discrediting replacing the entire length with appropriate diesel rated fuel line. Too many threads in this forum regarding hose (including the old timers) to discredit it.
My 2 cents...
There has to be a good reason why the NHRA doesn't allow more than 24" of rubber hose in a vehicle to be allowed on a track. I'd redo the steel lines if they're that bad.
1995 2500 4X4 5 speed 195000 miles DDP stg 2, #5 fuel plate, 15.5*, 4 GSK, 60#, TST AFC spring kit, KDP killed, BHAF, Valair clutch, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, ISSPRO guages boost and exh temp.
RichN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichN View Post
There has to be a good reason why the NHRA doesn't allow more than 24" of rubber hose in a vehicle to be allowed on a track. I'd redo the steel lines if they're that bad.
I'm sure they have very valid reasons for that rule. I don't have a rule book but I'm pretty there are NO rubber hoses on a funny car (I could be wrong). Is this a discussion about drag racing a diesel truck? If so, I'm way out of my league. If it's about a daily driver off the track, I believe either are a safe valid long term option. Searching this forum should validate either option. For me, I chose the hose works because I don't have the tubing bender and flaring tools. Hose is also much faster and not too expensive if you watch for a sale. It also saved me from trying to evaluate the integrity of the tubing. My point is there are two options for appropriate replacement. It appears some may disagree and that's fine, but the NHRA rulebook??
Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Obviously it's for safety reasons. Your chances of getting in a wreck on the street are probably a 1000 times greater than on a track. If rubber is so easy to use, how come the oem's aren't using it? It's your life and truck, do what you want.

You gonna use duck tape to hold that rubber line to frame?
1995 2500 4X4 5 speed 195000 miles DDP stg 2, #5 fuel plate, 15.5*, 4 GSK, 60#, TST AFC spring kit, KDP killed, BHAF, Valair clutch, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, ISSPRO guages boost and exh temp.
RichN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My point was that there are two long term valid solutions. All things being equal, tubing would be less expensive solution. I'm not sure about longevity (though I think part of that answer would depend on winter conditions ((salt). Regarding OEM, cost is always one of their major considerations.
those are my thoughts and I have no desire to enter into a high school "you say this, I say that thread. There are too many already....
Old 11-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yeah I guess. I did them with Stainless Steel tubing. As far as longevity I figured the galvanized steel factory pieces lasted thirteen years the SS ones will rest the remainder of the trucks life. The chances of hose lasing that long not so good. Running all hose from one end to the other of the truck is a hack job at best.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I agree with others who says is to keep the hardlines. I won't run hose from end to end. That's just hack and asking for troubles. To prevent any line corrosions, I'd just find a way to mount it a little further from the frame so less dirty can sits on top of them.
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 CCLB 4WD. 4" Straight Pipe, Gauges,AFC Free Mods,TST AFC Spring Kit-Light Spring,No Plate,Mack Plug,4KGSK,295/70R17 3rd Gen. Alum Wheels,Ford knuckles,4340 35 Spline Inner/Outer Axle Shafts in the D60,105 Gallons Transfer Tank,WMO,Beefed 47RE.
TrailTamer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.