Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Truck won't start... AGAIN!!!

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
Went out to start my truck this morning turn the key and all I got was the good old "click" checked All the terminals the were ok. It has a new starter, , and the batteries are not that old. This I really getting me worked up I need some ideas...

#2 ·
Alternator. Maybe? Mine has done that before. New starter then I cleaned the terminals. Hasn't acted up since. Hope you get it lined out

#4 ·
What is it doing while driving? Is the gauge reading full charge when you stop? If so, there is a drain througout the night. Something is drawing power. Is there anything that is wired direct to a batter ?

Did you have the alternator checked? don't buy a new one without having it checked first.

#5 ·
It runs fine while driving just every now and then it does this same thing like there is a bad connection some where

#6 ·
Yes, but does it charge fully when you are driving? if so, then there HAS to be something draining it after you turn off the key. batteries don't go dead by themselves that quick.
Did you add anything since this started?

#7 ·
If the new starter is a generic auto parts starter it's probably already fried.
Even the lifetime guaranteed ones don't last long.
They are designed for gassers and have to fight the high compression of a diesel.
You're better off having the OEM rebuilt or pay the big bucks for a new one.

#9 ·
Throw a meter on your batteries. If you have at least 12V, they are probably good. In that case, it could be a fried starter contact. Do a search for starter contact upgrade. Basically, the factory contacts inside the starter solenoid are too small and can't handle the amount of current that needs to flow through them. Eventually, the melt, pit, erode, etc. Worst case scenario they stick together and the starter continues to run after you release the key. If I remember right, the kit was about $25 when I did mine years ago. Had zero issues since.

#13 · (Edited)
I have had a clicking starter before. Often it comes down to battery cables. A small amount of corrosion (actually discoloration) on the cable ends where it bolts onto the starter has been the culprit. Wire brushing the crap off has given me great starts after. It could be the big power wire or the small hot wire to the solenoid or from the solenoid to the starter. This has happened to me on several vehicles but not my cummins yet. I did have a similar issue with my cummins. The battery terminals (all 4) were covered in voltage stopping crap which a battery brush took care of.

My old 360 3/4 ton plow truck had the problem and it was dirty contacts on the battery cable where it hooked onto the starter. It did not look very bad but was enough to stop me cold. Had it looked worse I would have cleaned it up when I was putting a new cab on the old truck.

My last car gave me fits. Sometimes it would start fine other times it would not even with several attempts. The solenoid had corrosion where the wires bolt on. After ruining the solenoid (rust sucks) by having the brass bolt let go I put on a new solenoid and cleaned up the corrosion. Then it worked great.

#14 ·
Problem that took me a long time to figure out the first time I came across it is battery cables corroded almost all the way though under the insulation where you can't see it.
About the only way to find it is by flexing the cables back and forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.