Injection Pump Failure.... Symptoms? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Injection Pump Failure.... Symptoms?

What are symptoms of a failing injection pump? I have done allot of searching in this site and google haven't seen anything.

My truck is not making any torque, I am pretty sure its fuel related. I have replaced the lift pump with a cummins unit, all fuel lines, and ofv. This thing is still way under powered. I have also checked for boost leaks to the AFC and throughout the system.

Why I ask for symptoms of a failed injection pump.... The previous owner decided it was a good idea to run a holley red fuel pump in place of the cummins lift pump. I dont know for how long but it was in there when i got it.

What should a look at to determine my lift pump is shot?

Tim
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Sometimes you have to eliminate everything else it could possibly be. You need some gauges, EGt, boost and fuel pressure at minimum. You also need to verify timing and bump it up some if possible. Slipped timing will cause performance issues as will low fuel pressure, so I would verify fuel pressure is in spec and timing is right. Also, what have you done to modify fuel? These engines are borderline gutless completely bone stock. Once you feel you have eliminated everything it could be other than IP, then take it off and take it to a reputable Bosch pump shop and let them bench test it. Bench testing is not awfully expensive, but once they start going inside, the dollars can start flowing freely, but once again, verify fuel pressure and timing.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Stock these things are slower than .....
honestcharlie56 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am going to pick up a gauge pillar today. What do people here do for fuel gauges? Do they mount them in cab or leave the gauge under hood?

Any recommendations for delivery valve removal socket and timing set?

As a side note, thanks for all that have contributed to the write ups in this site. They have a ton of information and have helped me trouble some nasty issues.

As a side note, this is the first diesel truck I have owned. All i have driven in the past are brand new d max trucks. I have no feel what so ever for what the truck should do.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,573 Posts
You want the FP gauge in the cab so you can see the pressure under load.
Instructions> How to check fuel pressure on a 12 valve

DV sockets and timing sets are available on ebay or if you do a search here you'll find methods to make your own set up for much cheaper.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.