Engine Break In - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine Break In

Hi my name is Chuck, i am new to this site, I have a 96 Cummins with a new long block, a Phat Shaft 62 series turbo, 50 horse Injectors, and a new Injector Pump all from Industrial Injection, I have roughly 16,000 miles on the new engine, i run Rotella 15-40 non syn oil, so far the engine uses around a qt to 2 qts of oil every 3000 miles, My question is are the rings not seated for the reason it could be using oil, it leaves small puddles of oil on the ground after running it, but usually only when i have the rpms up to 2500 RPM when i pull a trailer occasionally, u can smell the oil coming out of the breather tube while it is idling, what do i need to do to get this engine broke in properly?
munkynutz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Umm, keep driving it. Not a whole lot too it, it just needs more miles. It should burn less and less oil as it gets closer to 100k miles then will level off for oh the next 400k or so......
Im at 250k and I burn about a quart every 5k
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

K thanks for the reply, My next concern is My max boost is 34 psi with the Phat Shaft turbo, i believe it is a 12 cm housing, but not certain, do you think that the 50 horse injectors push enough fuel for this trurbo, it seems like it should have more boost than this, the fuel plate is barely pushed ahead from what Industrial had it set at, i have AFC spring turned all the way loose, toward the fan no tension, Industrial recommended this and the housing is all the way forward as well, i had a small boost leak on the compressor housing here the waste gate elbow plumbs into it i fixed that prob, the egts seem to get up to 1100 deg fairly quick any ideas?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Your foots on the floor and only 1100 degrees?
On a warm day I can top out at 1600......
I run 7x.012's no plate closed WG
You need more fuel. Pull the plate and see what it does.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
that turbo is probably wastegated if it is, you need to adjust it so it opens at a higher boost pressure.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

the 1100 degree egt is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, wouldnt taking the tq plate out of the housing spike the egts even more? id hate to burn this down, the last engine had a cracked head and pitted cylinder walls, i am nervous to do to much to compromise reliability, should i just slide the plate forward, or change it to a different one, but id like to try and manage the smoke as well if possible, im not sure how to adjust the wastegate, i talked to Industrial Injection last year, they said the waste gate is set at 40 psi, but i am not reaching that, and where this motor only has about 16000 miles on it, is it to soon to turn it up?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

you need more fuel to light the turbo. take the plate out as said before, you will probably see lower egts because of the added boost
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok I have read a few posts from different sites saying that when you remove the tq plate, the smoke increases, the fuel mileage decreases and some say the egts increase because there is no plate to control this, right now i get 15 to 15 pulling a sled trailer or atvs, empty i get between 16 and 18, id like to have control of the smoke with nice spool up and decent egts, Im just trying to get the best of both worlds i guess
Old 07-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

1100deg is Alot for 1/4 throttle unless, your at 1200 rpms with a 10k trailer trying to go up a hill. Somethings not right, sounds like a boost leak etc, where is the boost sensor?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

at 16k you still have a ways to go on break-in

The best thing you can do for breaking in the engine is loading it up on a dyno, short of that, hooking to a trailer and dragging it through some rolling hills (you want to get a decent and steady load on it). It is going to take many more miles until the rings seat fully (and yes using rotella doesnt help!) and during that time you can expect excess blowby and oil consumption. if after 30k+ the symptoms have not began to decrease, it may be time to start diagnosis.

Worst thing you can ever do for it (especially on a fresh engine) is to idle it excessively and -foot around!
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

the first day i drove it, i took it to jackson hole wyoming, lots of hills there, very first fill up was 18, i was impressed, ill take it to northern idaho with a big 5th wheel camper, maybe that will help it break in, how good are 191 delivery valves? Industrial Injection recommended thes to feed the 50 horse injectors and phatshaft 62/12 turbo i have
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

50 horse injectors (in most cases) are just stock injectors for 96 to 98 with a manual transmission. Slide the plate forward, or get a different one if you don't feel comfortable removing it. That 62 can handle more fuel, but like stated before 1100 @ 1/4 throttle is high.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.