boost leak? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
boost leak?

So over the past week ive noticed my truck has lost a significant amount of power. I talked to one of my buddies and he said it was a possible boost leak? I checked my boots and couldn't see any loose clamps or obvious rips. My trucks egts have been about 300 degrees hotter than normal and the turbo sounds like its screaming even though im only making 5 - 10 lbs of boost. The truck has also significantly decreased in the amount of smoke its producing at WOT. I checked the turbo and there is absolutely no play. I need help and could use any suggestions.
96' 2500 12 valve 4x4 RCLB. starwheel ff, custom #0 plate, 4 inch exhaust, home made intake, trans boost and egt gauges. HTS Ultimate Duty Transmission with Suncoast Triple Disk Torque Converter and billet input shaft
NJ4life131 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm at a loss... maybe it's the intercooler?
I doubt it, as I never hear/read from broken intercoolers in these trucks.

Did you squeeze hard the boots?
A small hole might not be noticeable from the outside.

If you still don't find a problem, I would remove all the boots and check them outside the engine.

My 0.02

Hope you find the problem ASAP!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

This might sound dumb but check to make sure your pre boost fuel screw is still in place. I lost mine and while waiting for replacement the truck had about 1/3 the power and almost no smoke. That was due to the boost entering the afc was escaping the hole where the screw shoulda been. Just a thought.

If that isn't your problem use hit it's advice. Let us know what ya find out
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerip View Post
This might sound dumb but check to make sure your pre boost fuel screw is still in place. I lost mine and while waiting for replacement the truck had about 1/3 the power and almost no smoke. That was due to the boost entering the afc was escaping the hole where the screw shoulda been. Just a thought.

If that isn't your problem use hit it's advice. Let us know what ya find out
when you say pre boost fuel screw, you mean the cover for adjusting the starwheel on the afc? the allen-type bolt?
96' 2500 12 valve 4x4 RCLB. starwheel ff, custom #0 plate, 4 inch exhaust, home made intake, trans boost and egt gauges. HTS Ultimate Duty Transmission with Suncoast Triple Disk Torque Converter and billet input shaft
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

No. It's a cover right on the back of the AFC with two flat head bolts. If you take it off, that's the preboost screw. If it fell out you'd have an opening in your induction system basically.

Sounds like a boost leak. I have one right now. Less boost, little more smoke, and higher EGT's. Plus you can hear the whoosh!! instead of the whistle. Just test the system with 10psi shop air or so, and find the leak! You can buy a tester at http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...db1fb4c388473b, or make your own!

Timing in 40 minutes (P7100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billow99 View Post
i hate nv 4500s i keep breaking the cluster gear. even with cryo treating. its pointless to expect them to hold up to any abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randemelissa View Post
You want smoke? throw a rag in your air filter inlet. you want power? we'll help all we can.
God prefers Diesels is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

so is there a way to pressurize the system without having to buy that leak tester?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yeah, make your own. Basically you just need a way to cap off the other side of the system, and a way to inject air at the beginning of the system. You can just do tubing and intercooler, and you can even hook the tester on your turbo and test through that too just in case you have a leak at the turbo/first tube clamp.

Quote:
i hate nv 4500s i keep breaking the cluster gear. even with cryo treating. its pointless to expect them to hold up to any abuse.
Quote:
You want smoke? throw a rag in your air filter inlet. you want power? we'll help all we can.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by God prefers Diesels View Post
Sounds like a boost leak. I have one right now. Less boost, little more smoke, and higher EGT's. Plus you can hear the whoosh!! instead of the whistle. Just test the system with 10psi shop air or so, and find the leak! You can buy a tester at Intake Pressure Tester, or make your own!
If its a boost leak though, would he not be seeing more smoke like you are. He said in the original post he had significantly less smoke. That makes me think he is not getting all the fuel that he used to.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

With a boost leak limiting boost, he might indeed get less smoke. Remember, the whole purpose of the afc is to limit fuel based on boost. Basically, the afc could cause the smoke symptom to reverse from what you'd expect.
God prefers Diesels (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

That's right!

No boost equals no fuel. In my case, I just have a tear in a boot and still get 45psi which is more than enough for full rack travel. So I still get full fuel, but less boost. If you were just boosting enough for full rack in the first place, and then lost boost, you might be limiting fuel in a case like that. So less smoke.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a 96 12 valve auto with 40+hp injectors, cold air intake, 4" exhaust, banks wastegate and removed the silencer ring. For a few months now I had alot less power, more smoke and really bad fuel milage and I did a pressure test and found my intercooler has a big hole in it, wouldn't hold any air. Should I get this one welded or buy an aftermarket one?
jonc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.