v10 to cummins swap - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
v10 to cummins swap

I have a 94 12valve with a 47rh 2wd and i am going to use it as a donor truck. I have bought a 98 2500 with a v10 and I want to know if anyone can tell me what i have to do with the wiring to make everything work with the dash cluster ? I am going to use the tranny and everything else from the 94
roadwelder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

the engien speed sensor is different to the gas engiens. so That is not going to work together... I would recomend just swapping the das cluster as well... from the diesel truck to the V10 truck.. personally never owned a v10 so I aint much help but Im pretty shure the v10 has the ESS hooked on the ignition distributer. and for the sensors thay are probably not he same such as ohm difference vs gauge scale readings. might just as well use the cummins wiring harness.. makes the pcm work and all the other little changes alot easier
Ram 2500 12v 5.9 cummins turbo, 47RH Auto. all stock. exhaust, transmission and boost gauges. home made manual lock up controlers fuel plate a bit frw. starwheel detuned.. 38" superswampers custom fender extensions.
articfarmram is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to articfarmram For This Useful Post:
roadwelder (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can I plug the wiring harness from the 94 directly into the pcm out of the 98 or do I need to get a diffrent pcm? Thanks for the info... Also I want the new style dash and cluster so it all will match in the interrior... Does anyone know where I can find a diesel gauge cluster for a 98?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I dont think thats possible. the 94 pcm for the cummins contols the overdrive/lockups solenoids in the transmission.. reads the transmission temp, reads the ESS, reads the TPS and alot of other things... so you will need the 94pcm for that motor... Im not really shure of the clusters, but I think that they made 12v cummins trucks untill 98.5 so you could get the clusters from there but i dont know if it will work together.. also the pcm "that controls so many things" has the altenator volt regulator buitl in it and senses all the sensors involved so if som senso starts acting up you can turn the key on-off-on-off-on and see the error codes.. dont know how that is going to work with a neewer cluster coz of the change after 1997 where you need to hook the truck in a fancy computer to see anything... so I would rather freshen up the 94 cluster "pimp it up" and make it work.. but thats just my dollar fifty but some one might know this better and shed a much brighter light on your project.. Oh and also,, what gears are in the v10s axels and is the v10 2wd as well.. I wish I had a project as intressting as yours
Ram 2500 12v 5.9 cummins turbo, 47RH Auto. all stock. exhaust, transmission and boost gauges. home made manual lock up controlers fuel plate a bit frw. starwheel detuned.. 38" superswampers custom fender extensions.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

oh and another thing, the cummins truck has the wait to start, trans temp and the water in fuel lights wich you need to install as well from the donor
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

The 98 v10 is 4wd it has dana 70 rear and 60 front 354 or 355 gear ratio... i am going to have to get a transfer case for my 47rh and shorten and lengthen drive shafts... thanks for all the good info well i guess i will just use the dash and cluster out of the 94 that will work best
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Do a search on it, than theres the transmission linkage thats easy for a roadwelder... just remember to take ALOT of pictures before you go tearing the donor apart so you can see order of all the wires and other things that might confuse you later on, saves alot of time... and if you document every thing, you could even do a nice wite-up on it for the benifit of others... Just dont for get to change tha tank modul and rain it an fill with diesel... my friend once swapped a diesel in a gas Toyota pick-up and forgot that.... He banged his head against the wall til it bled
The Following User Says Thank You to articfarmram For This Useful Post:
Rbohan (01-28-2012)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was plannig on useing the fuel tank off the 94,the fill tube , fuel lines and so on.... yeh I was going to note everything I could and hopefully be able to help someone else in the future.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The clusters wont swap over, its differant so your gonna have to find one from the newer interior diesel, youll need the 94 pcm, all wiring and even the wiring that goes with the newer cluster. You will probably still have to change out some conectors from the harness to cluster but Im not positive, the plugs on the cluster may be differant than the one on the 94
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Finding that cluster from a 98 12valve seems to be difficult since they only made a half year of them. Do you know whether a newer 98.5 through 02 cluster would work or not. thanks for the info....
Old 03-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

look here
1st gen 12v into a 02 V10
gozapper is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gozapper For This Useful Post:
roadwelder (03-19-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.