auto to manual swap - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
auto to manual swap

I have a 95 dodge cummins, I love the truck but I hate the automatic transmission, its leaky, the torque converter bolt fly out, the tranny has about 1500 miles on it and it sucks, I want to convert it to a 5 or a 6 speed, preferably a 6 but any manual will be awesome. What do I need to convert it to a stick, and does anybody have any parts for sale?

thanks
hondafill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

1st-Im pretty sure everyone else here is going to tell you to use the search feature because i have seen a lot of threads like this one. 2nd-fill out your sig and read the beginners forum if u haven't already. 3rd pretty much if u wanna convert from auto to manual your better off buying a stick parts truck, it will be easier and will minimize down time for the truck. somebody correct me if im wrong but almost everything from a 2nd gen manual will swap over to your auto
The Following User Says Thank You to bpetricek For This Useful Post:
hondafill (03-08-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just completed this swap on my truck this past weekend. I had been looking for a parts truck for over a year and could not find one. in my opinion the best bet is to call Balsley's Auto Sales (724-455-6100). they will sell you a complete swap kit for 2120$ after taxes. it was a six and half hour ride for me but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a junked truck and now I dont have a junker taking up space in the back yard. haha
Josh Chesnee is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Chesnee For This Useful Post:
12valvePwr96 (03-29-2011), BobTheRepairMan (12-29-2012), DRC (04-23-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesnee View Post
I just completed this swap on my truck this past weekend. I had been looking for a parts truck for over a year and could not find one. in my opinion the best bet is to call Balsley's Auto Sales (724-455-6100). they will sell you a complete swap kit for 2120$ after taxes. it was a six and half hour ride for me but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a junked truck and now I dont have a junker taking up space in the back yard. haha
what is your opinion of doing the swap? how hard was in and how do you like the manual trans
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

What transmission was it? Was it the nv5600 or...? Did you need a new transfer case? Where's. Balsley's at? Thank you so much you saved me I almost bought a parts truck for about $3000
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

basically it was as difficult as pulling the transmission and putting a new one in plus a few extra parts. I really did not consider it that hard because I have had to put clutches in both of my other Cummins. I put the nv4500 in the truck, I think you can hook a 5600 up to a 12 valve but it requires some extra parts, you can reuse your tranfer case but you have to put a new hub in it where the tcase and transmission bolt together(autos and manuals have a different number of splines). That was pretty simple but just take your time, you have to take the tcase apart to get to the hub. And Balsleys is in Pa
Josh Chesnee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

If you already have an auto in there, you could put the same money from a swap into building up the auto. Tight torque converter and aftermarket valve body, and you have a transmission that can stand up to the 12v once tuned. A built auto is inherently faster than a manual because they shift so fast compared to a standard which takes a while to shift.

I say that because I have a NV4500, and while I usually like manuals, this one is definitely not a "performance" transmission. It has synchro problems (either design or user error) so you can't speed shift without clashing, and for towing, good luck with 5th gear. Not to mention that if you tune up your 12v to gratuitous amounts of power/torque, you can snap a shaft just by rolling onto the go pedal (as I understand it).

If you want a towing transmission, there is always the eaton 10 speed conversion (but for anything but towing, it is not practical)
Conversion Parts List
Roadranger 10 Speed Conversion...it Can Be Done!!!

Or, the ford zf6 is another common option much better suited to daily driving.
ZF6 behind a 12v

Last edited by thecheese429; 03-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.
thecheese429 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

nv4500 5th gear and pulling my dad has a 99 one ton been pulling a 416c backhoe for ten years now got 270k on it now had a clutch at 205k 5th gear crimp style fix and is still going strong
1999 24v bhaf,edge juice with attitude,5inch exaust silencer ring gone tc lock up switch pyro,fuel,boost,trannytemp,stock 47re,airdog100 and drawstraw smarty s-03 revo 35 12.50 20 trail grapplers 2 inch leveling kit
cummins24v is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

any more info on this balsleys place and what do they include in their swap?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

[QUOTE=thecheese429;3926826]If you already have an auto in there, you could put the same money from a swap into building up the auto. Tight torque converter and aftermarket valve body, and you have a transmission that can stand up to the 12v once tuned. A built auto is inherently faster than a manual because they shift so fast compared to a standard which takes a while to shift.

I say that because I have a NV4500, and while I usually like manuals, this one is definitely not a "performance" transmission. It has synchro problems (either design or user error) so you can't speed shift without clashing, and for towing, good luck with 5th gear. Not to mention that if you tune up your 12v to gratuitous amounts of power/torque, you can snap a shaft just by rolling onto the go pedal (as I understand it).

I agree with this. I was considering the swap too but after i priced out a standard tranny, better clutch to handle the power and all else needed, i could have just built my auto up to handle the same if not more power. Figured that would save my left leg from pumping an aftermarket clutch all day when i had to make the dreaded drive to the city lol. I guess its all your decision though if you like standard and know what you are doing with swapping then it would be worth while.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

If you stick with the auto tranny and just tune it up real nice does it get any better MPG than a 6 speed tuned up?
erbe0712 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.