bad fuel mileage - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
bad fuel mileage

i recently got a 12 valve cummins and im not getting the gas mileage i was expecting, my truck has 4 10 gear ratio all the tires are inflated and it has a new air filter, i figure im getting about 10 miles to the gallon and thats being easy on it.besides that it runs fine any ideas?
kylecummins89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
zig

you don't need to start a second thread, just put this and A LOT more information about your truck in your first one...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
zig

start with this:

year?
tire size?
tire type?
what kind of driving? (all town, country, highway, etc.)
you hauling anything?
what aftermarket parts do you have?
how many tanks have you checked mileage on, does it vary or is it consistent?

but put this information in the other thread
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Just like I asked in your first tread. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but fuel milege is affected by MANY factors. The more info given, the more help can be provided. Don't ask how long a piece of rope is.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,566 Posts
Bump.
Come on, starting one thread is enough.
It's not going to get you an answer any faster, it's just going to annoy everyone.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Look I'm new at this so don't get upset
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a 97 long bed extended cab with 33x12.5 I live on longisland it's not very hilly here I never really go over 60 completely stock. I took the silencer ring out and turned up the injector pump up a tiny bit but I'm getting like 100 miles to a quarter tank or not even
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,566 Posts
I would assume in a place like Long Island it's all stop and go traffic.
If so you're not going to get very good mileage, it's a heavy truck to get rolling.
I would expect you to get a maximum of 14.

BTW, I'm not upset at all.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have a very similar truck. A lot of stop and go for me. Lots of hills. Rarely get going fast enough for OD to acually kick in. If I can get 11 mpg, I think I'm doing good.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You may wanna try a more accurate method of calculating mpg. Every time you fill up, stop as soon as nozzle stops. note the gallons amd miles for that time. Keep doing this for at least a month or half dozen fill ups. This will be much more accurate.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

and dont forget to change that fuel filter. but stop and go traffic i would not expect it to be that high..... low teens prob.
96 Dually. 2WD. 5 Inch Straight Exhaust, AFE Intake, KDP Fixed, Gauges, 100 Fuel Plate, 3k GSK, BD Intercooler Boots, 4:10s, Borgeson Box. Borgeson Shaft, Flatbed, All LED lights
kayden101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecummins89 View Post
It's a 97 long bed extended cab with 33x12.5 I live on longisland it's not very hilly here I never really go over 60 completely stock. I took the silencer ring out and turned up the injector pump up a tiny bit but I'm getting like 100 miles to a quarter tank or not even
Don't trust the fuel gauge for a MPG meter. It just tells you how empty you are, not accurate at all.

When you fill up, top off (fill till the nozzle clicks off) and reset the trip meter. Next time you fill up, fill till it clicks, and divide the trip meter reading by the gallon reading on the pump. That's your MPG. Reset trip meter, lather rinse repeat

Something that could be hurting your MPG is a stuck open thermostat. Does your temp gauge ever get up to the normal zone? If you replace it, go with a higher temperature one (210 or 215, maybe higher, others could tell you more than I could).

Also, you could very likely benefit from putting on an electric fan instead of the mechanical one. Or just take the old one off (but don't blame me if you have to wait on the side of the road for it to cool off).

Check and adjust your timing. The 12.5 degrees is not optimal for MPG nor power. If you bump it up (again, others have more specifics) you could probably boost your MPG again.

Note that these are all things that will give you roughly 1 to 5 percent MPG improvement (each), and won't make your truck suddenly beat a smart car or civic, but everything helps and things add up.

One more note: If you put in gauges, that would give us insight into how the engine is running and if it is not optimal.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.