'96 Automatic transmission will not shift from 1st - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
'96 Automatic transmission will not shift from 1st

I have searched the forums and could not find anything with the same problem.

I just got a '96 Dodge Diesel 4x4 that has a transmission issue. It will not shift out of first gear. It will shift in reverse and the transmission feels strong. The previous owner said that sometimes it will upshift if you shift it manually 1,2,3. I have tried to manually upshift it without success. It will do 25mph and when you let off the throttle it will just coast and when you reapply the throttle 25mph again.

The trans fluid is full and red. The only other issue the truck has is the fuel gauge doesn't work and is showing dead empty.

any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Mike
ebanezar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I hand this Exact problem, drop the pan....
I had a broken front band apply lever.....
Your band, the anchor etc could be broken
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Your 1996 has a 47RE transmission.

For a 47RE transmission (that has a functioning 1st gear) to make a 1-2 shift, it needs the following things:

a.) The trans needs to have its front band as well as the front band actuating mechanism intact. This mechanism includes the servo, apply lever, band anchor, strut, adjuster. You can check the front band adjustment from outside the transmission. If you loosen the locknut and can turn in the adjusting screw more than two revolutions, it is loose. If it turns way in, there is trouble inside the trans.

b.) The trans needs governor pressure. Governor pressure is the hydraulic pressure equivalent of a speedometer. More speed = more governor pressure. A 47RE has its governor pressure created by the PCM via the governor solenoid. Electrical sensors and wiring could be a source of trouble as well as the solenoid itself. I suggest you put a 0-100 psi gauge on the governor pressure test port and take the truck for a test drive. If you have about 1.0 to 1.5 psi governor pressure per mph of truck speed, you are OK.

c.) The valvebody needs to have its spool valves able to move freely. As the governor pressure increases, it puts more force on the governor plugs. Once the force is high enough to overcome the TV pressure and spring that are pushing in the opposite direction, the 1-2 shift spool slides in its bore and makes the 1-2 shift. If the trans had dirty oil, the 1-2 spool valve may have gotten stuck. Additionally, IF the TV pressure was excessive, the 1-2 shift may not take place until very very late.

Hydraulic pressure tests will almost always help you pinpoint exactly where the trouble is. Is the governor pressure OK? Is the line pressure correct? Do you ever get hydraulic pressure at the front servo pressure test port?

lets go vintage drag racing: www.meltdowndrags.com

Last edited by Art; 02-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Art is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Art.... I have almost the same issue with my 96 12v... but I can manually shift from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but I have no overdrive..

If I just put it in park then it will start in 1st, skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd..

Ive dropped the pan and there was no big pieces and everything seemed ok. I put a new pressure solenoid and sensor in it with a new filter and fresh fluid... Im sure its an electrical issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have posted on here before with a similar issue. When my truck gets below say 1/4 or 1/8 tank it will not shift out of first. Sometimes if i go real easy on the throttle it will shift but delayed or hard, than as soon as i put fuel in it the problem is gone instantly! Than on rare occasion when i am just starting out my truck will start to buck and stall out like i started in third gear. It is the crazyest thing i have ever seen. All i do is make sure i dont go below 1/4 tank i just figured i would mention it because i saw you said the fuel gauge does not work.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Assuming the intermediate band strut didnt fall out, service manual points to a sticking governor.

B o t t s r
ham_r_down01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ordered a governor today and should get it in next week. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I installed a new governor and governor speed sensor today. I took it for a test ride and no difference. As soon as it shifts into second it shift right back into first.

What would be next to do/look for.

thanks,
Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Your 1996 has a 47RE transmission.

For a 47RE transmission (that has a functioning 1st gear) to make a 1-2 shift, it needs the following things:

a.) The trans needs to have its front band as well as the front band actuating mechanism intact. This mechanism includes the servo, apply lever, band anchor, strut, adjuster. You can check the front band adjustment from outside the transmission. If you loosen the locknut and can turn in the adjusting screw more than two revolutions, it is loose. If it turns way in, there is trouble inside the trans.

b.) The trans needs governor pressure. Governor pressure is the hydraulic pressure equivalent of a speedometer. More speed = more governor pressure. A 47RE has its governor pressure created by the PCM via the governor solenoid. Electrical sensors and wiring could be a source of trouble as well as the solenoid itself. I suggest you put a 0-100 psi gauge on the governor pressure test port and take the truck for a test drive. If you have about 1.0 to 1.5 psi governor pressure per mph of truck speed, you are OK.

c.) The valvebody needs to have its spool valves able to move freely. As the governor pressure increases, it puts more force on the governor plugs. Once the force is high enough to overcome the TV pressure and spring that are pushing in the opposite direction, the 1-2 shift spool slides in its bore and makes the 1-2 shift. If the trans had dirty oil, the 1-2 spool valve may have gotten stuck. Additionally, IF the TV pressure was excessive, the 1-2 shift may not take place until very very late.

Hydraulic pressure tests will almost always help you pinpoint exactly where the trouble is. Is the governor pressure OK? Is the line pressure correct? Do you ever get hydraulic pressure at the front servo pressure test port?
I am going to check the front band this evening. Is it up on the driver side mid ways down on the transmission?

Where is the governor pressure test port? I think I can rig up a gauge and take it around the neighborhood.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update:

I checked and adjusted the front band. It was within specs, maybe just a hair loose.

I pulled the transmission relay out and it went into limp mode. 2cd and 3rd gear work great.

I also noticed another problem that might be a reason for the no shifting. The Gen light comes on and off. It is only charging between 11.6 - 12.5v. I took the alternator off and had it tested and it is fine. The truck also has new batteries in it. Could this be the reason it is not shifting?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I know overdrive is linked with the charging problem on my 47rh idk about the other gears tho. The pcm doesn't know the truck isrunning and on the 47re it is all controlled by the computer so it may be a good place to start.
spike00 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

AND THE WINNER IS:

Bad ASD relay!

I was reading around on every message board I could find and someone posted they changed out the relay with the anti-lock brake relay and it fixed the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.