Front Crank seal replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front Crank seal replacement

My 97 2500 5.9 is leaking oil from around the seal at the crank/front of engine. Does that whole front cover have to come off the replace that seal, or can the harmonic balancer wheel/belt pully be pulled and replace the seal with the cover on? I'm probobly going to take it in to someone as phyisicly I can't do it. Thanks for any reply.
Barnstormer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

If its where I think it's the front cover gasket take off fan and belt and take care of the killer dowl pin while you are there. mine came out and cracked the case taking it to someone monday to put a new case and advance my timming.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
My 97 2500 5.9 is leaking oil from around the seal at the crank/front of engine. Does that whole front cover have to come off the replace that seal, or can the harmonic balancer wheel/belt pully be pulled and replace the seal with the cover on? I'm probobly going to take it in to someone as phyisicly I can't do it. Thanks for any reply.
it could be the front main or front cover gasket. if its the front main you can do it without takin the front cover off. but it might be a good idea to pull the cover and tab the killer dowl pin. just silicone the front cover back on after you do it. the cover is stamped steel and silicone seals it better then the gasket ever will because of imperfections or improper torque on the cover. when you change the seal for the front main get one with a wear sleeve if its scratched at all. and make sure there isnt one on it when you try to put the new one on
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Its possible to replace it with the cover on. But the trouble you would have to go thru to do it. It would be faster and easier to pull the cover. Your chances of it leaking again will be less if you remove the cover, since the crank needs to be completlly free of oil on the reinstall.
98 2500 QCLB 4X4: G56 SIX SPEED: VALAIR DD CLUTCH: DANA 80 W/ 3.54 GEARS: 315/75-16 RUBBER: COLD AIR INTAKE: ADJ. BOOST ELBOW: 4K GSK: 60# VALVE SPRINGS: AFC MODDED #10 PLATE: HX35/40 HYBRID W/ 4" POWER ELBOW: 4" EXHAUST.
Ed Font is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i had mine done at a shop. they took the cover off to do the kdp, the effed the seal i bought for it because they didn't realize there was an installation tool when they put it back on. they bought a new seal and put it on with the cover on, and 4 months later i still have no leak from there(knock on wood), which was a pretty significant leak. although my power steering is throwing up fluid like its something cool to do(AWESOME!)
96 auto single cab, #100 plate, turned star wheel, bhaf, 6" black stack and plenty of turned heads
09 harley nightster, v&h sideshots
texazranger04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the info. It's leaking from the main seal. I have been reading about the killer dowl pin but do understand where it is. Sounds like a alining pit for the cover, that vibrates or comes out inside the engine, yea? I wrenched on my rigs all my life and now I have to look the jobs over, so that I don't write checks that may /back can't cash.
Barnstormer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Here is a link to KDP repair, might help you locate it.

http://www.tstproducts.com/DowelPina.pdf

Floyd
blackimpala is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.