How to get better mileage - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #61 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Check THIS out! I'm speculating that this will yield 1-3 mpg on 4X4's. This conversion reduces rolling resistance from your front axle. Plus, there seems to be a number of other benefits. I might have to try this one. I need ball joints anyway.
98 12V QC 4X4, Slip-n-slush, HX35, 16* BTDC, KDP Killed, #10 ebay FF, PacBrake 3K GSK, Tork Tek OFV, AFC Tuned, 4" ex, 285/75R16, 3.54, Modified Frybrid, AEM Water/Meth, Bully Dog Propane
torino73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I just completed that mod on my 96. Re-drilled spindles from a Ford Dana 50, my goal was to get rid of the unit bearings, after rounding up the parts and drilling the spindles it went on just like it was a kit. Still have snow on the ground so the manual hubs are still locked.

Floyd
blackimpala is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Ditch your tailgate and use an air gate, or none at all. I get 2mpg better with mine down, but it's a long bed Quad Cab.

When I got back home after I bought it in Az. I pout the gate in my storage unit.
Rodbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #64 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodbuilder View Post
Ditch your tailgate and use an air gate, or none at all. I get 2mpg better with mine down, but it's a long bed Quad Cab.

When I got back home after I bought it in Az. I pout the gate in my storage unit.
Ya right, 2 mpg better. It has been proven several times in wind tunnel and on the road tests that stock tailgate up will give you better mileage than with it down or an air gate. Ever watch Mythbusters?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackimpala View Post
I just completed that mod on my 96. Re-drilled spindles from a Ford Dana 50, my goal was to get rid of the unit bearings, after rounding up the parts and drilling the spindles it went on just like it was a kit. Still have snow on the ground so the manual hubs are still locked.

Floyd
Kinda went shopping for parts at wrecking yards today. No luck though. What do you mean "re-drilled?"
98 12V QC 4X4, Slip-n-slush, HX35, 16* BTDC, KDP Killed, #10 ebay FF, PacBrake 3K GSK, Tork Tek OFV, AFC Tuned, 4" ex, 285/75R16, 3.54, Modified Frybrid, AEM Water/Meth, Bully Dog Propane
torino73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #66 (permalink)

Im a freshmen at Texas Lutheran University so my truck usually is parked for most of the week. The only driving that I do is going to work twice a week which is about 20 miles total, and going home every other weekend which is 140 miles round trip on the highway. With a cold air intake, intake manifold, straight pipe, tires running at 80 psi, and a clean fuel system im consistently getting about 22-24 highway and 19-20 in town. (This is all with a light foot) Going to be bumping up the timing to 15 degrees this week, and possibly some new injectors soon! Ive found that by just having a light foot i really gain quite a bit of mileage. Only other thing you can do to be more efficient is to park the truck and leave it!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #67 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have a lo-pro toolbox on my longbed and want to add a bed cover, so I'm going to have to get an adapter made so I can get the box's latches! But I know from experience on a mi ni truck I owned, that the cover will ad somewhere around 2 mpg by itself.

The cost of a bed cover IS cost-effective. Even a canvas one will work.

Anything has to help a shoebox get aerodynamic!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #68 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I read in this month's Diesel Power magazine that some guy wants to eliminate his "fuel particulate" filter to get better mileage.

Is this the same as his fuel filter - and if so won't he screw up is fuel system without it?

ALSO - I read on here that another guy was told to unplug his EGR wire. How will that help his mileage?

I'll wax my truck with chicken livers, if it'll make it get 35mpg!!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #69 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by torino73 View Post
Kinda went shopping for parts at wrecking yards today. No luck though. What do you mean "re-drilled?"
If you read through all of the Pirate 4X4 link, a lot of reading I know, they talk about two different ways to use Ford parts for the mod. One is to use Dana 60 parts and replace from the knuckles out with the Ford parts. The other, the one I did, you can use Dana 50 or 60 parts and replace from the spindle out, keeping the Dodge knuckles. But because Dodge has four bolts holding the spindle on and Ford has five you need to drill the Ford spindle to fit the Dodge bolt pattern.

Floyd
blackimpala is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to blackimpala For This Useful Post:
torino73 (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #70 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Fuel Mileage

I have a 98 dually 2WD with the NV4500 and 3.55 gearing. I keep my tail gate in the garage unless I need it. I run about 1,900 rpm on the highway and avg 22.5 mpg. With the camper and boat trailer I get 14.5 at 1,800. I try to drive carefully and don't give a hoot if the majority of the traffic is passing me. Recently I purchased a 30' 5th wheel. I have only towed it home and haven't really used it yet but the big hole between 3rd and 4th became a lot bigger on the steep climbs. My solution was to purchase a Gear Vendors overdrive. I haven't completely installed it yet, waiting for all the snow to go away. I expect to have a lot nicer towing experience but also to have an increase in fuel mileage when running empty. It amounts to a 22% gear reduction. I doubt that this upgrade would be a wise investment just for a fuel mileage increase for most as it would take a lot of miles to pay for it but it might be worth considering for those who put on a lot of miles.

I bought my Dodge used without knowing a lot about the virtues of various years, the 12 valve vs the 24 valve, different pumps, transmissions, etc, but I think I got one of the best built all things considered. I plan to keep it for a long time to come even if a re-power becomes necessary so I believe the overdrive was a good investment for me. I also thought about a 6 speed for towing but that wouldn't give me the double over.

This is a very interesting thread.

Karl
moparnut72 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to moparnut72 For This Useful Post:
The_Joe (03-29-2013)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #71 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnut72 View Post
I have a 98 dually 2WD with the NV4500 and 3.55 gearing. I keep my tail gate in the garage unless I need it. I run about 1,900 rpm on the highway and avg 22.5 mpg. With the camper and boat trailer I get 14.5 at 1,800. I try to drive carefully and don't give a hoot if the majority of the traffic is passing me. Recently I purchased a 30' 5th wheel. I have only towed it home and haven't really used it yet but the big hole between 3rd and 4th became a lot bigger on the steep climbs. My solution was to purchase a Gear Vendors overdrive. I haven't completely installed it yet, waiting for all the snow to go away. I expect to have a lot nicer towing experience but also to have an increase in fuel mileage when running empty. It amounts to a 22% gear reduction. I doubt that this upgrade would be a wise investment just for a fuel mileage increase for most as it would take a lot of miles to pay for it but it might be worth considering for those who put on a lot of miles.

I bought my Dodge used without knowing a lot about the virtues of various years, the 12 valve vs the 24 valve, different pumps, transmissions, etc, but I think I got one of the best built all things considered. I plan to keep it for a long time to come even if a re-power becomes necessary so I believe the overdrive was a good investment for me. I also thought about a 6 speed for towing but that wouldn't give me the double over.

This is a very interesting thread.

Karl

I have SERIOUSLY thought about this, but if you do this get one with 31% overdrive and leave the stock over drive button in the "off" position! that way you'll eliminate the stock overdrive problem.

The stock trans has a 31% overdrive.

The only problem with this is, you STILL have a piece of junk in front of that gear vendors, which WILL go out on you sooner or later!

They have junk for clutches.
Junk for bands.
Junk for torque converters.
Junk for planetaries.
And junk for overdrive components.

Gosh - what else is left to go bad?

That gear vendors is only a solution to 25% of your future problems. If you're like me you wish to heck that you'd have bought a truck with a 6-speed in it.

Next time I'm gonna BUILD a truck!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #72 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

rodbuilder
your talking like an idiot.

the 47 series of transmission is as strong as an automatic as u can get with a careful build and the right parts.
almost its not worth responding to comments like that except some darn'd fool readin yur comment might believe you

Last edited by sdiesel; 02-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.
sdiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to sdiesel For This Useful Post:
johne610 (07-21-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.