Oil leak behind PS pump on a 96 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak behind PS pump on a 96

I'm seeing an oil leak coming from somewhere behind the PS pump on our 96. I've checked the PS hoses and all seems sound. I degreased the engine and can see a trickle of what looks to be engine oil coming from somewhere just below/behind the IP. Since it's raining like crazy here, I'm trying to find a diagram of the left side of the engine. If anyone knows of a drawing or has any bright ideas, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500, QC/SB, 2WD, RV275s, Edge w Attitude, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, big line kit, BioDiesel, Suncoast TC and VB, Mark Wilson HD trans, Bilstein Shocks, B&W turnover hitch, Firestone airbags, RDS toolbox/60 gallon tank combo
gator_grabber is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Now that the monsoon has passed, I'm still at a loss as to where the oil's coming from. Does anyone have a schematic/photo/whatever of what's going on on the driver's side of the 12V engine? Standing beside the truck, looking at the PS pump with a light, I can definitely see it moving down the side of the freshly cleaned block. Since we tow horses constantly with this rig, this needs to get sorted out as quickly as possible. Is there an oil pressure sensor in that area that may be giving up?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500, QC/SB, 2WD, RV275s, Edge w Attitude, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, big line kit, BioDiesel, Suncoast TC and VB, Mark Wilson HD trans, Bilstein Shocks, B&W turnover hitch, Firestone airbags, RDS toolbox/60 gallon tank combo

Last edited by gator_grabber; 01-17-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
it might be the tapped cover leaking
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Tappet cover? Good suggestion, I've seen that with other engines. Let me do more of a search.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

tappet cover, oil pressure sending unit or the oil feed line to the injection pump and vac pump

Pretty much the only things that are going to be leaking in that area
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

also look around the vacuum pump if its leaking in a $15 dollar fix from cummins for a seal kit and only takes an hour or two to change them out
97' 3/4 ton custom exhaust, gauges, 36psi 35x,#0 plate, MANUAL fuel shut off, BHAF, 47re converted to a nv4500 w/ 450hp south bend clutch...
Dallasfire911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

If the vacuum pump is leaking, what oil comes out...engine or power steering?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Motor oil.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Ok,
I finally got back to this little problem. After lots of degreasing, it appeared to be either the oil sending unit of whatever lies directly over it. Being the eternal optimist, I replaced the sending unit and hoped for the best...wrong! I'm really thinking it's the tappet cover at this point (rats), so I'm guessing the IP needs to come off to get at it. I'm used to the 99 I drive, so this is new territory. Any words of advice? Time to search again.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

ive got the same problem with my 95 what did it end up being?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Not sure yet, but I'll post what I find. I'm currently looking for a good article on IP removal for the unfortunate.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had the same symptoms myself, leaking a cup or so of oil per day. After looking carefully and research I found it was the tappet cover leaking. Oh boy what a pain in the . Take your time. One thing I have to note is how it seems all the expensive replacement parts are right out in the open and the $10. POS replacement gasket is a few hours work to get to. Yes the injection pump must come out alone with the fuel filter housing. If you need help search this site before asking questions because this is fairly common. There are a number of reasons why it leaks, mine was just old (320k) and disintegrated. One thing that cannot be overstated...MAKE SURE YOU THOROUGHLY and I mean THOROUGHLY clean the IP shaft and the IP gear. If you don't you will damn sure regret it take my word for it. Good Luck with the fix.
68bullittbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.