Electric Fans? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Electric Fans?

I've seen a few discussions on here and on other sites about electric fans. I have a few questions for the people that actually HAVE ALREADY replaced the fan clutch in favor of electric fans. From anyone with firsthand experience I'd like to know:

1) Any noticeable difference in power?
2) Any noticeable difference in MPG's
3) Any noticeable difference in noise?
4) Any problems with light towing?
5) Does anyone use or know of any other fan options other than the fairly pricey flex a lite 262? On dieseltruckresource someone mentioned using "two Lincoln Mark VIII fans" because "They pull anywhere from 4,500 cfm to 5,000 cfm each. And can be found used pretty cheap."

I currently find that I can barely get the engine to maintain enough heat to defrost the windshield unless I drive for an hour. It's especially noticeable on the interstate with cold air whipping past everything. I should also mention that I will also be adding a vegetable oil conversion system (SVO) soon which will suck heat from the cooling system to heat veggie oil so it can be used as fuel. I think heat buildup is not much of a danger for this truck.
dahoseman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
I have personally ditched the stock mechanical fan and i really like the added benefits, as a side note my truck is a d/d and doesnt tow much at all.

1. power increases are very slight and from me on a seat of the pants its slightly noticeable
2. mpg's i havent really kept track of mine, but maybe i will,(my truck has been sitting for a few months while i do random stuff to it)
3. the truck is very noticeably quieter with the electric, i was really suprised, the engine bay noise has dropped alot.
5. I used 2-14" electric fans each fan pulls 2300cfm i have them hooked to the ignition but i also have a toggle switch in the cab to turn off during the winter months. I paid 25 bucks a piece on ebay for these fans and their not cheap on the construction. Im am very pleased with mine and they cool a little better than stock and I like that i can turn them off when need be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12valveterror For This Useful Post:
crazyrunner33 (07-24-2012), Smoken Gun (01-06-2011), SootKing (02-07-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow thats awesome, even with no fan shroud keeps it pretty cool huh?
snook is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
yes cooling has increased slightly, and no need for the fan shroud since theres no more mechanical fan
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I did a electric fan conversion on a 97 dually and in western pa, they have yet to come on even driving the truck hard the truck hovers around 170 and it has definately decreased engine noise. We used dual ford taurus fans with a temp sensor relay kit from a local parts store. its pretty easy to do and seems to work great
Smoke12Vem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm convinced. I have a set of fans on the way. I'm going to hook up a thermostat and relay, like a normal car has for the electric fans. What temperatures would you recommend for the thermostat on/off?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Ive heard some guys say 200* we went with 195 i that seems to work well, the coolant is 185-190* when the stat opens so its pointless to set it at or lower than 190 the truck will never reach running temp
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have a pair of 16-inch electric fans that I plan to install. From what I've read/heard, the electric fans are better for all situations except for heavy towing. However, I still wonder if the issues that people have had with electric fans and towing only involved ONE electric fan. A pair of those fans running all out can move a lot of air.

I was just talking with a friend of mine about this very subject, and he told me that the cooling system is really only responsible for about 10-20% of the engine's heat dissipation. The majority of it is given off through the air moving over the motor and around the engine bay. That is why I think that the stock fan might do a little better under heavy towing conditions. It isn't so much that it is pulling air through the radiator but rather just blowing the heat off the motor. Still, I think that a pair of electric fans can really cool things off that way, too. I installed a pair of 14-inch fans in my little Mazda pickup and tried running the fans with the hood open. I was standing next to the truck, and it felt like they were blowing my hair back. Electric fans are far more powerful than I had expected them to be. I plan to run them on my diesel as I've reat that it can really help fuel economy.
ions82 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I'm running an electric fan from an old Crown Vic Taxi (mid 2000's). It didn't fit well with the shroud it came with, but my portaband took care of that. I hooked it up with a switch to ground and a relay. That way I have one small chassis ground wire running across the engine bay and through the firewall and the relay can supply a full 30A. I located it behind the radiator on the trans cooler side; trans temp seems more important than A/C.

I did notice a small improvement in throttle response and I assume it's reducing vibration. I'll be doing a long trip through a mountain pass this weekend and monitoring my MPG. I keep a dated log after modification installs and we'll see if this is significant. I just installed it, so I don't have any data yet. I have been driving a bit though and it seems that my engine is actually running cooler without the mechanical fan and shroud. I have yet to use the electric fan, but the weather has been cold. Maybe it's the weather, or maybe the shroud covered enough of the radiator to retain heat in the coolant. I don't know, but I'd like my truck to run hotter. A hot diesel is more efficient.
98 12V QC 4X4, Auto, HX35, 16* BTDC, KDP Killed, #10 ebay FF, PacBrake 3K GSK, Tork Tek OFV, AFC Tuned, 4" ex, 285/75R16, 3.54, Modified Frybrid, AEM Water/Meth, Bully Dog Propane
torino73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Awesome, I'd like to see if there is any fuel savings. I am going to be doing the fan swap this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get some veggie stuff installed and some sound deadening completed also. How is your veggie purification project going?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

subscribed, i want to install a pair if it will increase fuel economy. so i will await your results..

www.facebook.com/BoneSawPulling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BoneSaw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoseman View Post
I currently find that I can barely get the engine to maintain enough heat to defrost the windshield unless I drive for an hour.
Don't expect that changing fans will help your heater work. When the engine is cold, providing the fan clutch is operational, the fan doesn't move very much air at all. Definitely no more than whatever flows thru your radiator at highway speeds. You can remove the fan and drive it to confirm that.

My temp gauge has a 140 at the bottom of the gauge, another mark at the bottom of an arc, 190 in the middle of the arc, another mark at the end of the arc and 230 for the highest reading. I do not know what the mark at the bottom of the arc is, but I believe it is about 160. My engine temp is there after driving less than 5 miles. Operating temp is halfway between the mark and 190. If your temp gauge is the same and the needle isn't moving within a few miles of starting out you need a thermostat. If the engine is getting up to the correct temp either the heater core is obstructed or the plenum is full of trash that is preventing the air from flowing over the core.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.