Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5th gear nut

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ykdave 
#1 ·
so i have fixed the fifth gear nut with an aftermarket one and it backed off so i lined it with red locktight and torqued it again and it has backed off a third time and i am getting tired of tearing my trans apart and i dont have the money for a new shaft.
the truck is not going to see any more than 400hp so what are the pros and cons to welding the nut?
thanks!

#2 ·
You can run a couple tacks on there, but its going to screw the reuseability of the shaft if you ever decide to rebuild the gearbox.

Reactions: kfisher
#3 · (Edited)
green locktight. that stuff is as close to welding as possible without actually ruining the part.

:::EDIT:::

Make sure you read the directions on the bottle. you'd be surprised how many people over look that and either dont give it enough time to cure or use threadlocker that isnt designed to be used in or around oils and heat.

#4 ·
has anyone used the green loctight method or weld method how did it work for you

#6 ·
The problem with red loctite (the most common 'off the shelf stuff), it is not designed to be used on such a large nut (though in most cases it will work fine). green loctite threadlocker is intended for even smaller fasteners.

I would suggest you try to find some Loctite 272, it is intended for lager fasteners.

But, make sure you clean the hell out of the shaft and nut and give it at least a full 24hrs before you fill the case with oil or do anything with it.

On the other hand. welding it will work just fine, but like mentioned, it usually means that the next time the trans has to come apart you will be needing a new mainshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.