Cummins Diesel Forum banner

just got trans rebuilt

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Art 
#1 ·
Like the title says i just got my transmission rebuild and i supplied m extreme duty rebuild kit from suncoast and some other billet parts that the kit did not come with, as well as a transgo kit. Know the trans shifts good but is there anyway to tell that my parts were put into my transmission?? The tranny feels good and shifts good, but i just want to make sure that all my parts did go into the trans because that's just the way i am. What can you see by dropping the pan?? Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

#2 ·
You wont be able to see the frictions and steels without removing the transmission. You can see a portion of the torque convertor by removing the access plate at the bottom of the bell housing. If you drop the pan and remove the valve body you'll be able to see both servos, and the accumulator.

#3 ·
Yea i had the transmission out cause all he did was a bench build to save some $ and i installed it in my driveway with all the snow we just got. I was thinking about taking her apart but just didnt have enough time with only having one day to put it in before the snow got here. The trans does shift good and quick because of the shift kit, but it's not too firm so im guessing he didnt touch the pressure. But i'm going to him after the holidays to see what the the pressure is( which i'm sure is low) and make them right. Now what should my pressure be set at?? I heard around 90-95 psi at idle in park and 160-180 with TC locked in OD? Is that right??
Thanks

#5 ·
OK now is there anyway to know if you need to adjust it? cause i drove the truck and it felt pretty good. this tells the trans when to shift right? I will have to look at it tomorrow and read up on the TV cable before i go make some changes.
Thanks

#8 ·
Yea had buddies go there for their gasser trannys and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I just don't really trust a lot of people knowadays because everyone is always trying to take a short cut somewhere. thanks on directions for the tv cable.

#9 ·
Just had mine redone as well and love it, he provided all the parts and I requested the billet servo and pistons etc red clutches and good steel extra clutches, kit etc. I was the same way and dont really know if he did do all the billets stuff or not. Mine shifts nice and firm but not teeth rattling and pulls like a freight train. I drove it nice for about 500 miles than slid my ground plate ff and have been giving hell ever since, I even towed the bosses skid steer twice now at 70-80 with no mercy with the exception of backing off to keep the egt's down with no issues at all. I got a warrenty and the way I look at it he knew what I was doing with the truck so he would have been stupid not to do what I asked and what he said he would do since he would have to fix it. I took out and installed mine as well and took it back to him and he checked everything out. Wow that was long but thats my 2 cents

#10 ·
Yea sounds just like me. He gave me a warranty and i'm bringing it to him in a couple days so he can check my pressures and stuff. I drove good and i have no plate and my star wheel adjusted and it didnt miss a beat, but just did it once cause i want to see what my line pressure is at right now. I got a transgo shift kit installed also and it doesn't shift hard as i thought it would, but maybe he was just that good lol. But i will feel better after i know what the psi is and i adjust my TV cable.

#11 ·
Hows your egt's cause I can hit 1400 with ease and I wanted to see how far it would go and I got it up to 1600 and I think it would have kept on going if I let it, I didnt do it long and it was at WOT. I pulled 12k+ and and could manage very well and keep it between 1100-1200 with just letting up a bit and stil stayed at 70 mph. I wanna run no plate but Im worried about not being able to manage my egt's

#12 ·
In a different thread you asked about a 47RE transmission that was intermittently slipping just after a rebuild.

First thing you should do is read ALL of what I wrote here:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ler-automatics-101-revised-08-mar-2010-a.html

It is some general information on transmission operation. The next step is to identify the exact condition when there was a malfunction. This is necessary to determine exactly which transmission components were used at that instant.

For example, in that other thread you posted on, he had a problem while in a certain set of conditions that all pointed to a single transmission component.

The alternative is to tear the transmission completely apart and inspect every single component, not knowing which is the culprit, and hope you find the problem(s).

The most important transmission troubleshooting and service tools to have in your posession are the appropriate factory service manual as well as the ATSG manual, if you want to tackle transmission troubles. The ATSG manuals are excellent, but not as thorough in some areas as the factory service manual. ATSG assumes the reader is a transmission repairman with some transmission experience already. I recommend reading both before starting to wrench on the transmission.

Before I answer your specific question about slipping in reverse as well as drive, I need to know more about the specific operating circumstances you had a problem at. If I list every possible part for every scenario, the list will be just too long to be helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.