Cummins Diesel Forum banner

conundrum with a shutdown selenoid.

749 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there are a couple up right now but i dont want to hijack and yes i have read them all. lately i have been having trouble starting and i believe i also have a timing/air in fuel issue. all that aside the boot for the SDS has been gone for 9 months. i bought one but because the truck continued to run i didnt replace.

finally my truck quit on me completely, i was having trouble with it pulling air but also noticed the plunger was not coming up without me pulling it up so today i pulled the solenoid, pulled it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and reassembled. now it wont do anything...and i mean anything. key on and push it up and it still wont stay. so i pull out the multimeter after going through the posts on here. blue wire off the battery has 12v, hot wire going to the solenoid does as well, as does the harness to the solenoid, then i checked both the harnesses running to the relays up on the firewall and both of the harnesses were hot as well. now here is where i am horribly confused. i had a 40 amp relay laying around and its brand new, i plugged it into the harness for the solenoid and nothing...it still wouldnt even be pulled up and stay.

so my question is...how likely is it that both the relay and SDS are bad. and can you be getting 12 v running to the solenoid and it still not work at all? i assumed its just an electro magnet so as long as its getting power it should work? thanks in advance as always.

oh and i cant use the relay for the grid heater because i guess the relays have been replaced and its a 5 pin and my other is the original 4.

See less See more
#5 ·
ok jumped straight from battery to my selenoid and had 12.5v on my multimeter with my jump wire and nothing. so im guessing all this starting i have been doing on the solenoid took what little it had left out of it. gonna jump on larrys and order it and a new relay. thanks as always bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.