Cummins Diesel Forum banner

t-case gasket info plz

661 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ram tuff96 
#1 ·
puting a new chain in my np241dld t-case wondering what seals or gaskets i will need ???

#2 ·
Cheap method is just use RTV, thats what ive always done for it. If your not rebuilding it and just replacing the chain, I wouldnt bother with bearings and seals. Although the tailshaft seal is something I would change.

#3 ·
rebuild the whole thing
a kit from transmission exchange or someone takes only a few moments more to rebuild the whole thing
if your t case chain is shot chances are good that you could use bearings and seals too

be careful when you reassemble that the pickup tube is seated properly and the rubber sleeve don't fall off during re-install

gasket maker is the only gasket available for a rebuild.

#4 ·
x2 on the RTV. I completely disassembled mine around thanksgiving and it took almost a full tube to do the whole case.

Mongo

#6 ·
a full tube !!

i have done three in the last year on one tube and a third left over
when the ooze squishes it can whirled around inside with the potential of clogging the pickup tube and thusly starving the unit for oil.
check periodically, as the unit ages, through the drain hole for silicone debris.
one tube is a lot of silicone

as an additional note i hate silicone as a rule it is far less reliable than paper and it is prone to things like this and to leaking

#5 ·
I read somewhere (TSB?) while I was rebuilding a 246 that you should only use a quarter inch thick line of rtv when joining the two halves of the case. Something about it getting picked up by the pump and causing it to chit the bed.

#7 ·
ok my bad, it was my first one apart and i had to pull it back apart a couple times to get it to go together just right. :S:next time i'll remember to use sparingly. Who knows maybe i had a smaller tube than normal. I just grabbed whatever ultra black the local farm and barn had on the shelf.

Mongo

#8 ·
I agree RTV works thats what Ive always used. But isnt it supposed to be anarobic gasket sealer that seals the halves together? jw

#9 ·
yea always like 2 avoid the RTV when i can especially like when joining the 2 halves of the t-case together just cuz its not something i have apart often.(like a diff cover)
But looks if it came from New process with gasket maker joining the 2!
Also i know there are fursure gaskets on the 2 tailshaft housing pieces those sould be as easy as autozone or carquest(unlike the chain)??
really need new ones if can would out RTV!
Other than that i think i got it this unless anyone has any Tips or anything 2 add plz do!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.