Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12 valve stall out issue

25K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Eastwood 3.1416 
#1 ·
I have a 96 2500 with an automatic that has recently begun stalling out at inopportune times. when i slow the truck down and its still in gear, it tends to just lose all RPMs and die. i'll shift into neutral similar to driving a standard and the RPMs will stay at normal idle levels. when i'm driving everything is fine, but doing normal low speed operations i.e. parking, uturns, 3 pint turns etc. its pretty annoying. it will always crank over again and start up, but i would really like to remedy this problem. If anyone has any ideas as to what the issue might be, It would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#3 ·
it has been a lot slower to come up to operating temp in the morning, but like i said when its running and in neutral it will idle. when the transmission is engaged in drive or reverse is when the stall out occurs. Another thing i have noticed is that it is more apt to stall when the wheel is at full lock or being turned in either direction. i am guessing that is because the power steering pump is drawing power from the engine.

#4 ·
I'm not an automatic expert but it sounds like your torque converter is engaging to low and stalling you out. (The fact that it does it when turning adds to this thought as it would require more torque to propel the vehicle forward, hence stalling more at idle.)

#6 ·
typical idle RPM in Neutral is around 800, and slightly lower when idling in gear and rolling. I seldom use A/C, more of an open window guy

#9 ·
I appreciate the many responses and advice from all. Just a little unclear on how I would physically adjust the idle on the truck, but I'm assuming it will have to be done somewhere on the injection pump.

#10 ·
before i adjusted the idle on my truck (would idle at 750 with ac off) I could burp the throttle when in gear and the truck would stall lol. What rpm is the truck when you put it in drive? you could be having the same problem as me where the torque converter is staying locked up and is acting like a manuel truck when you come to a stop and dont push in the clutch.

#12 ·
Did adjusting the idle level solve your issue? your symptoms sound almost identical to mine.

#14 ·
well it depends on what thing your truck is doin. is the problem that it stalls when you burp the throttle or it trys to stall everytime you come to a complete stop? If its just stallin when you burp the throttle then adjusting the idle could solve it. If its the second one then raising the idle wont fix anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.