Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5.9 cummins and allison in a bus...

24K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Art 
#1 ·
i am proly gonna get flamed but....

i found a bus with a 5.9 12v and allison with like 60k miles on it. i would like to pick it up as a spare. is this feasable? are the bell housings the same? i use my truck to make my living and it would be nice to have the security of having this as a back up. sell the allison and junk the bus to offset the cost.

what is a low mile motor like this worth?

#2 · (Edited)
The bell housing in the bus is a SAE #2 I believe, not the same as the pickup. The Allison is probably the 545, 4 spd auto...? Probably not the best choice for a daily driver pick up, so yes if you could sell it.

But if you can get it reasonable, I would snap that sucker up. :thumbsup:

Is is a rotary or p-pump? It would be a good spare, the only big differences is the exhaust manifold is flipped, and the sir intake horn is a little different, and there is no fuel shut off solenoid.

#3 ·
The main part of the block (heads, block etc.) are the same as a pickup. If p-7100 pump, then all is quite similar. Unless modified, it should have a shutdown solenoid just like your truck. Most likely it won't have a grid heater, but yours will swap over to the head. I guess the most important piece of info you left out is the year of the engine. The year will determine injection pump style and possible that is a 24 valve. Find out the year.

#4 ·
The main part of the block (heads, block etc.) are the same as a pickup. If p-7100 pump, then all is quite similar. Unless modified, it should have a shutdown solenoid just like your truck. Most likely it won't have a grid heater, but yours will swap over to the head. I guess the most important piece of info you left out is the year of the engine. The year will determine injection pump style and possible that is a 24 valve. Find out the year.
Depends on what it is. I have a couple of 92 Blue Birds that came with the p-pump 12v and they do not have shut down solenoids, just cable pulls to shut them down.

And no, they do not have a grid heater either.

#5 ·
Probably has an air compressor too? I would assume that a bus would have air brakes most of the time?

#7 ·
Covered my azz and said most of the time :thumbsup:

Kinda disapointing almost that more vehicles dont have air brakes.

#9 ·
it is a 12v but don't know the year... i'll post up more as it progresses. how much is the engine worth? that way i know how much to spend on the bus.... i was thinking 2000.00... is that too much or can i just buy another engine cheaper. def want low miles...

#10 ·
Couldnt tell you on how much the engine costs. I'm to used to tearing them down and telling people how much its going to cost to rebuild if it needs it. See how much you can sell the other parts for, maybe even come out on top.

#11 ·
Id pay 2 grand for a p-pump bus with out a worry after selling parts and scraping the rest id say youll do all right

#14 · (Edited)
12 valve commercial application motors at millers truck salvage in portland oregon are selling for 18-24 hundred with core exchange
if they can find a buyer they can get 550 to 1100 for the transmission (sell it while it can be test driven)

tires and wheels 'bout 150 each
how much time and room do you have to scrap the rest ?
if you can get this bus for 2K and can cut it up yurself then i would do itfor sure

I have a friend who uses old buses for pig tractors he cuts the floor outta them and welds in shaker screen and then the pigs can crap out the bottom. stay dry. reasonably clean and he just moves the bus every week or so to a new spot in the pasture

weiner pigs go into the front door and they are harvested out the rear door

#15 ·
I can scrap out the bus no problem... if i could get the bus for 2k it would the engine would end up being almost free but i've only got him down to 3500

... i figure it will cost a few hundred for gaskets, hardware etc to switch it all over...

i assume i will need to lock in the kdp on the bus engine as well...

#18 ·
I picked up some very similar 12v engines from a salvage yard around here and could NOT sell the AT545 transmissions to anyone, not even as cores to any of the rebuilders. Ended up junking them all.

How does the saying go... Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.