Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Manual Trans Question

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Neibe 
#1 ·
Transmisison runs out fine but in 5th gear there's a roaring sound... not terribly loud but only in that gear. Any help is much appreciated.

#2 ·
does it go all the way into fifth?
fill out a sig so we know what you are dealing with!
could be issues with the fifth gear nut?
give us a little more info

#3 ·
Yea it goes into all the gears just fine. It has never popped out of fifth gear but that sound is a little unnerving. It's not very loud and it's not a consistant sound but it doesn't go away. I got this truck to tow a trailer primarily and just don't want to end up on the side of the road. 96' 2500, manual, stock, 311,000 miles. I've tried to put a signature on here but guess it didn't save or something. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Not sure when the fluid was changed last as I just got the truck myself about a month ago and have been getting the interior up to par. I've been very impressed with the mpg's of this thing and it seems to pull my 20' enclosed trailer good although I haven't put it through a real test just yet. I wasn't sure if it was worth changing the fluid if I'm gonna have to rebuild it anyway with it costing 100 bucks or so. I'm considering doing the 5th gear check myself but I've read different posts about that being a silent thing happening and the noises coming from bearings and so forth. not that experienced in trannys to begin with. thanks for the help.

#6 ·
No i had the inside of the gear strip on my 01 and it made a growl. You can drain it look for metal and take the pto cover off and look inside. Remove the tail housing off with a 12 point 10 or 13 mm socket.

#7 ·
I'm gonna drain it and see what that looks like. I gotta go by the stealership and get this super special fluid and hope I don't have to do a rebuild. I'll post what it looked like. Thanks again for the help.

#10 ·
Well I didn't get by a dealership and get any fluid today just too busy. I did however take out the fill screw and it seems very low, I put my finger in and I couldn't touch any oil. It is supposed to be filled to the hole right?? Now I'm getting nervous. I wouldn't mind rebuilding this tranny in a year or so but I hate to right in the beginning when this thing was replaced 4-5 yrs ago. Do you think the damage is done or is there a chance that changing the fluid and I might be alright (obviously I will find the leak and fix it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.