Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Covering a Radiator

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  hulkaman2003 
#1 ·
What products have others used to cover a radiator for a hotter engine temp. If you cover the trans cooler with inserts I would assume that that wouldnt be good.Is there somthing that you can get (other than cardboard) to go between the radiator and the intercooler and trans cooler. I've got a 190 thermostat in it and want to go to 210.

#4 ·
What ever you use, cut a circle out in the middle so that the fan clutch doesn't get hot and engage. If it is unable to pull air thru the radiator due to the cover, the blades could flex forward and do considerable damage.

#5 ·
Corrugated plastic ( plastic cardboard ) I cut a hole in the middle like mentioned above. I cant tell that it helps much either. I stuff a full sized piece in between the Radiator and IC

#6 ·
I went to a sign shop and bought a piece of that corrugated plastic as well. Just wondering where you got your 190 stat. And what part number.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input. The stop sign fix good idea I hate those things.I think I will go with the sign material (Corrugated plastic board) I have plenty since the last election those signs make great targets for the shooting range. But I'm still looking for the part " for the cummins marine 210 thermostat if anybody has that.

#11 · (Edited)
the part number for the Marine stat is 3972071, at least that is what I found when i looked it up, but could not verify that it is a 210 stat.

ok never mind, just called cummins and it is wrong, cracks at 83 cel. and full open at 95 cel.

#12 ·
i used a bud light box

#14 ·
I have been using a piece of cardboard cut to cover the entire radiator. I then cut a flap about 7 inches tall by 10 inches wide in the center. I can adjust how big the opening is by folding more or less of the flap over. If I hit 200* i just open it up a little. I just read moparman is strongly against this. Is this just because of overheating, or are there other reasons? It just worries me because I have never disagreed with moparman after he presents the facts. Any ideas?

#15 · (Edited)
piece of regular cardboard covering the entire rad. seems to work alright... havnt had any fan to rad sex lately so the fan clutch mustnt engage completely :D

#16 ·
I use an old feed sack between rad & ic. Never see anything over 160 with stock thermostat. It has been about -5 here so that doesn't help any but it doesn't seem to heat it up. I never see anything over 190 in 100 degrees pullin a trailer with ac on. Might need to get a new thermostat someday. Clutch fan's not engaged either, before you mention that. lol

#17 ·
Just take the fan off. You don't need it till bout 40° Towin 60°empty . I have a small piece of cardboard and no fan. Runs about 180°... 200 ° if I really push it hard 80+ im in indiana though. Its -7° right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.