Cummins Diesel Forum banner

oil pan replacement

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  clatterbuck2000 
#1 ·
my oil pan is leaking bad i need to get a new pan cause mine is messed up can i just jack up the engine and slip the pan out or do i need to drop the trans outta it? thanks

#2 ·
I wouldnt have much faith in trying it LOL

But, guys have done it. Just jack up the engine as much as you can (you can even remove the #6 valve cover and rocker stand if you need more room), unbolt the pan and it will drop a bit. then, you will have to remove the oil pump pickup tube before you can take the pan out

#5 ·
i dunno its all dented up from the previous owner and leaky

#6 · (Edited)
2WD is fairly easy. I disconnected the downpipe from the manifold and the lower turbo tube v-clamp to the intercooler. I also removed the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet, #5 & 6 valve covers and the fan. Then I loosened the motor mount nuts all the way to the end of the bolts, that allows the bolt heads and nuts to clear the mounts. I used my engine hoist to lift the engine, then slid two 4 inch long 2X4s into each motor mount cavity in the event the hoist failed. An air wrench to remove all the bolts, remove the oil pump pickup and the pan slides right out. The hardest part of the job is chipping away the baked on gasket.

on edit; Just remembered I loosened the two transmission mount nuts also. Don't know if that part was necessary though.

#8 ·
find the leak first
if you gotta drop the pan so be it but if its just a gasket well great ! only 2 hours of cussin and layin on yur back under an oily slobbering beast instead of 5 or 6

and use some gasket maker with the gasket it will seal around where the pan may not fit like it 'pose to

#9 ·
BEST STUFF EVER!!! go to your local ford dealer and tell them that you want the stuff that ford suggests to use on the powerstroke oil pans. Its a sealer. You just clean your new pan with soap and water and brush it on and let dry. This stuff is awesome and preventing rust. Ford has a TSB on all the powerstrokes for rotting oil pans so your local dealer should have the stuff in stock. By far the best rust preventitive i've ever used. Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area casue its some strong stuff.

#10 ·
^^^^^^thats anerobic sealant. good stuf as long as the surface is perfectly clean. get the detroit diesel anaerobic sealant. great stuff.

or go to a navistar/international dealer and ask for their thick black formagasket. you dont want it to leak? that stuff will seal anything!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.