Cummins Diesel Forum banner

timing after kdp

960 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
Bear with me guys and if what I'm saying is completely way off I apologize, just trying to wrap my head around this.

I assembled my front end after the kdp ripped through the case. I guess my timing slipped. I don't have the tools for the technical way and don't have the money for a shop.

There is a pin that looks the IP gear in the right place correct? If so can I turn my engine until I can lock in that pin (not really locking it in just getting the gear where it needs to be, release the nut holding the gear, and then turn the engine (with the IP gear just rolling on the shaft but not turning it) to cylinder one TDC and put it all back together again?

The truck has been out of commission for almost three weeks. It's my only vehicle and I just finished putting most of it back together just today. Running out of options and about bald from pulling my hair out (my hereditary balding doesn't need this right now!) :banghead:

I'll take any suggestions big or small!

#2 ·
Oh man,

The locking pin I assume your talking about is for locking the cam gear in place at TDC. Unfortounatly there isnt a lock pin for the IP gear. Theres a plastic pin to lock your injection pump however. Not what your talking about though. Let me look through some stuff real fast so I can figure out how to help you a bit better guy. Dont think many people are up at this hour!

#3 · (Edited)
There is a pin that looks the IP gear in the right place correct? If so can I turn my engine until I can lock in that pin (not really locking it in just getting the gear where it needs to be, release the nut holding the gear, and then turn the engine (with the IP gear just rolling on the shaft but not turning it) to cylinder one TDC and put it all back together again?
That is essentially the procedure in the fsm. I think I recommended one to you a couple weeks ago. In theory that will give you stock timing. Are you planning on using the drop vavle method to find TDC?

edit, reread the quote. The pin does not lock the gear, it locks the internals. It is under the large hex head cap on the side of the pump.

#4 ·
My bad, i fell asleep, beer got to me lastnight.

Anyways, pin time the pump, make sure your engine is at TDC compression, line up the parks on your IP gear with the cam gear (although I dont think that really matters). Bar your engine and tighten the IP nut down

#5 ·
appreciate it whiskey. Think I finally wrapped my head around all of it. I just posted a new thread regarding the motor's TDC. maybe you could steer me in the right direction on that as well? If I correctly find TDC of the engine I might be able to finish the timing of the truck today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.