Cummins Diesel Forum banner

NEWBIE modification verification...

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Bought the truck 2 weeks ago (original owner bone stock 200k hiway miles). My goal is mileage and longivity. It will occasionally pull a 2 horse trailer on mostly flatlands. It was a grandpa ride and will continue to be so. Just looking for fuel mileage and more zip at low end. After reading (lots of threads), here is what I'm thinking (please comment/input).
-KDP (owner didn't know anything about this)
4" exhaust turbo back with 4" muffler and "modified" cat.
-Either BHAF or swiss cheese the stock air box (sounds like both for my applications will provide similar results
-Remove fuel plate and slide AFC full forward tuning star wheel for minimal black smoke (sounds like no fuel plate vs #5 plate for my purpose will make little/no difference as my foot will not be in in (deep nor often)
-bump timing to 16 degrees
-new diesel fuel lines and fuel filter
-Power heated towing mirrors

Let me know what you think-This place is AWESOME

#5 ·
:agree2: Also you don't need a gsk to get more usable RPMs. Any good pump shop can adjust your stock ones and achieve the same thing, so if you know the trick you can do it yourself. Mine turns 3200 to 3300 under a load after my pump repair.

#6 ·
i have to disagree with BHAF not doing anything till about 450 horse. my stock airbox with a brand new filter in it always pulls the restriction gauge down to about 20% restriction. i run 35 psi of boost but nowhere near 450 horse. i plan a BHAF in the near future after i get my HG back together.

#7 ·
With fuel plate mods i would be concerned about transmission problems. Dont do what the dumb a** did with my truck before i got my truck and run a #0 plate on stock equipment, bad stuff happens, like blowing a T/C

#9 ·
Yes to the intake/exhaust combo, I do think it's important to open up the airways, especially when you are looking for mileage.

Yes to the 16º timing.

Yes to the pump tuning.

At 200k I would be looking at having your injectors pop tested and set up correctly, it's likely at this point that some spring sagging is taking place, causing incorrect pop pressures and effectively retarding the timing (worse combustion). If you want me to point you in the right direction about this PM me.

Best package deal on Isspros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.