Cummins Diesel Forum banner

truck not starting. (any idea?)

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  E TEX RAM 
#1 ·
So all I did was disconnect my battery terminal and I went to start it after reconnecting it and it wont start. I cleaned the cables on the battery and the starter. I know my starter is good because I ran a hot wire to the solenoid. When the key turns it doesn't even click. I don't think the solenoid is getting power when the key turns. Any ideas?

#3 · (Edited)
What does the truck do when you go to start it? Does anything come on (accessories) with the key on? Key off? Lights and such?

It may seem obvious, but is the battery good? Are both the posts clean (very clean)?

My truck had an intermittent issue where it would seem normal until I went to turn the engine over and it would act like the battery was gone. I went and messed with the battery connector and it would work fine. The solution was to clean the terminal and the post

If it turns over, but doesn't run, yeah, you should probably take a look at the solenoid. It has 2 electromagnets in it. One comes on and holds up the plunger, and the other one comes on when the engine is cranking and actually pulls up the solenoid (the hold e-magnet is not strong enough to pull it up, just to hold it). Anyway, if it doesn't go up, the pump won't put any fuel to the injectors. If that is your problem, you can fix it (temporarily) by holding it up with hay-wire or zip-ties. Cut the tie to let it drop and kill the engine.

#4 ·
I know its not my battery. I get power to my radio and guages. After reading the first post I think it might be the contacts or the inline fuse. I'm just not sure how to check. The starter doesn't even click when I turn the key to start. Could my starter solenoid be bad even if the starter works when I touch a hot wire to the small terminal on the starter?

Thanks for the replies

#7 ·
Since your starter works with a direct battery connection, the problem is in the starting circuit. It could be a bad park/neutral switch, bad wiring, bad ignition switch or bad engine starter relay.

The usual suspect is the park/neutral switch. Disconnect the small wire at the starter solenoid terminal. Have a helper hold the key to start while you test the wire for battery voltage. You will probably not read any voltage. So, no click and no start.

See this thread for some info.

No Start

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.