Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1997 CIH mx135 issues

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  goatchin 
#1 ·
On our farm we have a new to us (bought out of OH in april) Case IH mx135. It has the 5.9ctd with a inline bosch 908 pump. stock hp rating is 125, had it turned up 135hp before delivered to us(dont know how or what they did). ran it all summer in the bunk, hauling wagons, and doing odd jobs...no issues what so ever, solid power. The grid heaters on it are run off a manual switch that you hold down for prefered time (usually 20-30sec)...this works ok.

this last "cold snap" (5-10f) it started acting up and didnt want to start worth a damn and wont stay running now. fuel is treated and have no other issues with other tractors, etc. fuel filter was changed just in case, no change. cracked injector lines and barely got any fuel so decided lift pump on block was bad (hand primer button didnt do anything either), just replaced that today. primed it, started it and ran for 20 minutes this afternoon at 1500rpm. shut it down and started it back up couple minutes later with no problem.

went back to start it just now tonight-held grid heaters down for 2 cycles of 20 seconds, started it up, let the rpms settle out then moved it 15 yards and went to put it in reverse and started sputtering like it was lacking fuel. tried to give it some throttle to clear it up and have zero throttle. in order to get it to start we have to prime it a good 50 pumps or so and it will only run at 650rpm for 10-15sec the sputter out and stall. will not respond to throttle. did this about 10x's just to get it out of the driveway and sitting there now.....what gives?

whats next?:confused013:

See less See more
#2 ·
is there still warranty on it?? take it to the dealer let them get in the shop where its warm and test fuel pressure and make sure the electronics are pulling the shut off all the way open. and also how many hours on it?? i work for the case IH dealer here in IL and work on those. need warm to rule out the fuel for sure, i have seen one tractor on the farm give problems when all the others wont. so if thats not the case need to see what the rail pressure is and make sure the injectors are closing properly.

#3 ·
x2

Its always nice to be able to call up someone else and say 'fix the damn thing' LOL

Its entirely possible its got a small leak in the line between the lift pump and tank, this will not usually show up as an obvious leak as it sucks in air from the suction and their is no pressure to cause it to leak externally.

Another possibility, the pickup tube in the tank is plugged. i had the same issue with our brand new 700J dozer, worked great for a few months, then all of a sudden started to randomly starve for fuel. pulled the tank and found what appeared to be a piece of absorbent matting floating around the tank that would randomly block the fuel pickup.

Pull the feed line off of the lift pump and blow into that sucker and see if its blocked, or depending on the tanks level in relation to the line it should free flow fuel out of it.

#4 ·
Dont believe there is any warrenty left to it...especially now that it has been "modified". thats probably the next step-to the dealer. thats something i wish we had on the farm-a heated shop...cold metal sucks the "big one"

havent tried blowing backwards to the tank, will give it a try. there's no fuel leaking on the block or the pump so doubt any leaks after IP. I'll check for air leaks going from tank to LP-the cold could have stiffened the line enough for one to open maybe??

#5 ·
its entirely possible that the line has cracked in the cold. When you had changed out the lift pump, by handling the line it could have closed up the crack enough to let it run good for a bit until the crack opened up again!

#6 · (Edited)
problem #1, its a case... :l i had this exact problem on my 4320 john deere(i know totally different ip and fuel system) but it was a piece of foam stuck in the fuel filter housing. as the engine run it got jammed tighter and tighter into the inlet hole of the filter housing untill it blocked it off totally killing the engine. then let it sit for a bit and it run great again. so id check the tank for crud covering the pickup like ykdave said.

#7 ·
lol i was waiting for someone to start the color war....both CaseIH and JD use CTD so no war here haha.

we will give the lines a good look over tomorrow, give'er some backwards air, and see if we can see any debris from the filler neck (full tank of fuel)

Merry Christmas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.