Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12 valve grid heater Delete?

36K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  superdutycummins 
#1 ·
So i was wondering if someone knows of or where i could find a grid heater delete kit, or if they even make one.. mine has been down since sept. and haven't even noticed a difference in starting in colder weather. anything is helpful. Thanks!

#2 ·
pull the guts (elements) out... deleted

;)

Unlike the 24v engines, the grid heater is cast as part of the intake plate on these, it is not removable. So you cant just toss the GH block and throw in a delete spacer.

#7 ·
im wondering if thats just your 97+ 12V's? or 96+ 12V's? because my 95's grid heater is a seperate piece, and when i ordered a gasket kit for the upper end of the engine, it come with 2 grid heater gaskets, one for between it and the intake plate, and it and the intake elbow.

#4 ·
why take it out ?
what do you hope to gain versus what you lose in reliability and security .

In Dallas Oregon you may have some fine weather but what if you are hunting out near Fort Rock or skiing at mt hood and you need to start.?

you gain a small increase in CFM flow at certain boost levels but you lose reliability more wear on your starting system , excessive fueling on start up extended warm up time when warm up is already too slow on the 12 valve
i just dont see the value in removing these heater grids
and last you will not even feel / hear the difference in moving performance
its a sentimental idea or an idea for a racer trying to get the very last amount out of an engine that would do this
Seems you would want to keep parts that assist the engine in making HP rather than deleting them

#6 ·
what kind of lows in temp do you have when you cold start

#9 ·
it kinda seemed that way, almost seems as if every couple of cummins pulled off the assembly line were sent to dodge to be put in the trucks then the others went to other places lol.

#11 ·
i did some researching and it seems the guys with 97 model trucks claim to have a 1 piece gridheater/intake plate. so im assuming maybe its a 97+ thing or a 96+ thing?

#13 ·
and to add to the confusion, my 97 has a removable grid heater, my 92 does as well, so did the 95, but the 94 did not, it was solid to the intake manifold plate. Doesnt matter to me, they are all interchangeable. If you have the removable, and you have a case construction dealer near by, you can get one from them? Thats what I have on my truck. Couldnt tell you the cost as my brother is a mechanic at a dealer and he gave me 2.

#15 ·
yeah, if you have the 2 piece where the heater section is sandwiched between the manifold plate and the horn then the case dealer can get the piece for you. I know my brother got mine when he had to put grid heaters on 2 dozers, he gave the blanks to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.