Cummins Diesel Forum banner

is it my rear seal leaking?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  craigl 
#1 ·
HI everybody! I changed my 6 valve cover gaskets (very easy) they all leaked but not the cause of my major leak. I whiped everything off the block, pan, bell housing that I could reach. Started motor and ran couple of minutes shut down; went under neath and watched for leak. I found it but not sure where it comes from. It runs from back corner bolt on driver side of oil pan on bell housing onto lowest point of housing and drip drip drip. Could it be oil pan gasket or is it rear main?or anything else it could be? As i mentioned other day leaks about 1 gallon a week :(.
Thank you,

#2 ·
i had a similar leak. i noticed most of the moisture (oil) on the low point of the bell housing and it was due to a bad front tranny seal.

#3 ·
if its coming out by the oil pan, its not the rear main. the rear main leak would come out INSIDE the bellhousing, fling around, and run out the bottom

If your lucky its just the oil pan gasket. Not a fun job to do, but easier than pulling the tranny!

#5 ·
that would be true for alot of the leaks.

The oil level is well below the top of the oil pan, but it does see alot of oil flinging while the engine is running.

Same goes with the rear main, it only sees oil when their is oil pressure

#6 ·
are these oil pan gaskets known to leak this much oil (a gallon in about 15 houres of driving) thanks

#7 · (Edited)
If your leaking a gallon every 15 hours of road time, if you believe it to be the pan gasket then your missing a good section of the gasket.

Check around the vacuum pump flange (where it bolts up to the gear housing.)

I had (and still do) alot of oil leaking out. Had it on the front of the pan, all the way back on the pan on the drivers side and up around the bottom of the bellhousing. Got everywhere. I thought it was the front seal and the timing cover gasket. So I did the KDP and changed out those. Still leaked, so upon further investigation I found a crack in the gear housing.

Not sure if the previous owner over torqued the bolts or what happened with it, but thats where all my oil has been coming from. Pretty uncommon place but something worth looking at. Get some oil dye and this set to really pin point your issue. http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-413010.aspx

#9 ·
If your leaking a gallon every 15 hours of road time, if you believe it to be the pan gasket then your missing a good section of the gasket.

Check around the vacuum pump flange (where it bolts up to the gear housing.)

I had (and still do) alot of oil leaking out. Had it on the front of the pan, all the way back on the pan on the drivers side and up around the bottom of the bellhousing. Got everywhere. I thought it was the front seal and the timing cover gasket. So I did the KDP and changed out those. Still leaked, so upon further investigation I found a crack in the gear housing.

Not sure if the previous owner over torqued the bolts or what happened with it, but thats where all my oil has been coming from. Pretty uncommon place but something worth looking at. Get some oil dye and this set to really pin point your issue. Great deal on UView 413010 at ToolTopia.com
thanks my vac pump is leaking but not this bad .found it dripping driping between lift bump and heater /screen onto pan mount flang

#8 ·
since i cleaned motor off and looking and watching at idle the wet spot is in front of starter.i watch oil drip down land on flange were oil pan bolts on. drip comes between heater/screen and lift pump and lands in this spot.then must run around to back and end up bottom of bell housing. i need to read back and see what cover is there.

#11 ·
the oil is driping off the bottom of lift pump.the top and front side of it is dry cant see back side.is there a oil line that runs above lift pump? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.