Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Clutch question

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  alienturtle 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 89 F250 that has already received a 90 cummins 12v transplant. I am running the ford zf5 tranny. I am currently running an older flywheel (the one with the lip that sticks up around the edge of the flywheel. The ford clutch disk and a newer 1995 cummins pressure plate. the ford disk is worn out and its time i run all the dodge stuff like i was supposed to. I was told i am supposed to run the 1994 to 1998 NV4500 flywheel and clutch set-up. I am going to buy a Valair clutch setup from DieselAutoPower as he is a site sponsor. HERE is the kit. My ? is do i have to go out and buy the newer 95 flywheel. or can i bolt that setup to my existing older flywheel with the sholder on it? Thanks guys!

#2 ·
you shouldnt have a problem using the old flywheel, the clutches were all the same for the early 12v's

But, i would suggest ditching it (its likely f'd anyways). Go with a 13" clutch upgrade. You will get a nice new flywheel, with a roller pilot bearing to boot.

#3 ·
well that was one of the reasons why i wanted to keep it. i have already machined the flywheel to accept a bearing for my zf tranny. the entire truck was built about 1500 miles ago and i have been driving it since. the flywheel was taken to a machine shop and re surfaced. then used the old ford disk. (money reasons) and a POS kragen pressure plate. i want to get that kit with the dodge disk and pressure plate. just wanted to know if i had to go buy the newer 95 flywheel

so the only difference in the older flywheel (with the sholder edge) and the 95 one (flat all the way across) is just that edge?

#5 ·
the flywheel with the lip will work for a stock 94-98 12v clutch, the one you are looking at is a HD hub type, it will require you to bore the center opening of the flywheel to 7", your's currently is is about 6 5/8, the 94-98 12v flywheels were 6 3/4 and also have to be bored. Your best bet is a 13" conversion, complete with flywheel.

#13 ·
thank you very much for your time. i can see my POS kragen pressure plate wobbling while at idle and i have a funny vibration. I need to get all that crap out of there. If i bore my flywheel myself and get the pressure plate and disk kit what bolts would i be using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.